CyberPowerPC Phenom x4 Build, any advice appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'll go with the Dark Knight cooler, I don't know how to overclock now but after reading the reviews on that CPU I think I'll want to learn how, and possibly unlocking the 4th core.

I'm still torn between a 4890 or 4870, everyone says the difference is next to nothing when running at 1680x1050 resolution. Getting the 4870/6gb OCZ combo ends up 50$ cheaper then 4890+4gb OCZ, if I include the rebates.

sure thing about the cooler. if you have the money, its always better to get one even if you don't OC. and if you do eventually want to try it out, then you wont have to worry about your cpu reaching dangerous temps.

for the gpu and ram, the 6gigs of ram in the 4870/6gb ocz combo would not work in your setup because those 6gigs are 3 ram sticks with 2gigs each that are set to work as triple channel memory for core i7 builds.

it might only work if you used 2 out of the 3 sticks, but then you would have just bought an extra stick for nothing.

i really cant say what the difference would be between the cards running at that resolution. but if you really think you dont want/need the 4890, then you can get these instead

Newegg.com - XFX HD-487A-ZHDC Radeon HD 4870 1GB XXX 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P16004GK - Desktop Memory

Ah, well that wouldn't of been good. Those are the things I'm fairly clueless about, thanks.

Went with that RAM and the other version of the XFX 4870 1gb card, 20$ less for slighty lower Core and Memory clock speeds.

Just need to decide on buying Vista or using Windows 7 now. Have read a few things about Punkbuster having problems with Windows 7, so not sure about it anymore.

Alright, downloading Windows 7 now to setup dual-boot on this computer to see if all my main stuff works fine.

All I have left is of course the most important part, Red or Blue LED fans?! :facepalm:

Thanks for everyone's input, helped a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom