Why Do You Need More Than 6GB of Memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
in the last 3 years I've seen a huge trend in memory over kill from 1GB all the way to 6GB. we are seeing the same thing for video cards, 512MB was plenty before, now we've got up to 2GB cards which is ridiculous.

i personally think that 4gb for a home pc is slight over what is needed, as in games, internet, video and so on but i can see 6gb - 12gb - 24gb creeping into workstations for the program's that will use it

5-6 years ago i had a pc put together that had 512mb of ram and a ATI Radon 9600 in there as well but the time came that games needed more (oblivion at the time) so 4gb should shoo away some of these ram hogs for a few years to come

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates
Except that he denies saying that and there's no record of him saying it :p

i personally think that 4gb for a home pc is slight over what is needed, as in games, internet, video and so on but i can see 6gb - 12gb - 24gb creeping into workstations for the program's that will use it
I agree, most average users I know have 2GB and it's plenty. I even know several people who still use <1Gb, though out of necessity rather than choice.

Edit: Hang on, necropost much?

I can see the benefit of more than 6GB of ram when your running a bunch of different programs. But who or how many people usually have 15 programs running at the same time. At the most I might have 8-10 (very unusual) and then most of them are at an idle for the majority of the time.

Lets keep the necro rolling. :)

I recently installed lightroom for the wife and with cs4 and lightroom up and loaded with pics I have seen ram usage over 4gb.

For fun I will load up a bunch and render a video and see where it goes.

Currently i have moved up to 8Gb on my box. Firstly, I will be moving over to 64-bit with windows 7. I got the DVD, just need some time to install it.
Secondly, I am currently futureproofing myself while DDR II is still cheap.

Premiere and After Effects CS4 have used in upwards of 80% of my 6GB of DDR3 before.... so... yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom