New hard drive!!! big probablem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuitarmanTT

Solid State Member
Hey everyone!!

OK heres what i got... I just bought a western digital 1tb western digital hd, its the
WD1001FALS. So i put it in, i boot check the bios, shows up as wd1001fals... nice!!
I get to windows shows up as d:... nice!!! so i go ahead and start with the format. after about 15 minutes POOF it dissapears. ITS GONE, NOT EVEN IN MY CASE!!! J/k still in my case but the computer doesn't think so.

So I think.. hmm bad cables, so i change them out with my other sata 1tb hard drive from maxitor (thats a cool name). and i start formating agian..... POOF gone!!! WTF
I start a bit of research someone says... "windows wont format a drive that big, you need to partition it then format it, ok. so i partition the drive, now i have d: and e:. E: formats to ntfs just fine and it works!!! but d: that god **** D: drive wont do a thing. arggg.

I even tried western digitals fromat program. waist of time. its designed for xp and refuses to work right in vista, not only that but they sugested that i create a floppy and boot off of it. HAHAHAHA i dont have a floppy WHAT ARE THEY THINKING!!! There nuts i hate them.

Ok, so the q's to be answered please.

Why does the drive dissapear? ideas on how to fix it?
Why cant i format the drive?
Is there some super special and cool way to format a 1tb hd?

More info too.

The drive stops spinning when it dissapears.
Its an oem version of WD1001FALS, so no disk and all that.
I'm running vista, 2gigs of ram and normaly three other hard drives. only one now cuz i thought they might be making to much heat.
the computer has oversized cooling of everything.
I run my other sata at the full 3.0gb/s and it works fine.
ive tried many cables and all configurations.
The PSU is 600W, but i have unplugged two other sata drives so i dont think thats a problem.

Please forgive my spelling and gramar, i'm not dumb i just dont care.

Thanks for reading!!!!

How did you divide up the 1TB between the 2 partitions? 50/50?

make the 2 partitions unallocated again and then partition them off to where the division is at 98/2

so your only loosing 2% of the entire 1tb. and 2% of 1tb is really insignificant once you think about it. basicly make one partion as big as you can and the other as small as yo ucan.

Yeah, i did think about that. i was hoping there was a better way then having a extra drive that has 2 mbs on sitting on my computer. That is my last ditch effort, after i send the drive back and buy another MAXITOR!!!!!

Now that i noticed, I'm not even getting a status bar on the format, from my computer, or disk managment, or data lifeguard tools... (western digitals program)

More infoon the pc if you need.
intel, celeron e1200 1.6ghz dual core.
Msi p6ngm motherboard
2x 1gig rams corsair ddr2 667mhz
geforce 8800gt video card
vista 32
netgear wireless card
remote control thingy
hdtv tuner card
Cool case with spider on front!!! priceless

I know its a cheep computer, but really its for my theator, hense the two 1tb hard drives!! for movies!!!! TUNZ OF MOVIES AND SHOWS. i filled the other drive already. haha

haha, i did it. but i do have a 1mb RAW drive in my computer arggg

Ugh, don't get a Maxtor... Even though SeaGate bought them they're still not that great...

Anyway, try a GParted LiveCD to format it. Burn the ISO to a blank disk, boot off of it, and format the 1TB drive from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom