New to overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

95BlackGA

Fully Optimized
Never really overclocked. Got a newer board, and felt like I'd give it a try. Not really using the best hardware. So far, I feel as if I got a decent clock for what I have. Current temps don't go higher than 33*C idle, 44*C under load. Working with an Athlon X2 4050e, 4GB DDR2-800 ( 4 x 1GB), Asus M3A76-CM. Once I get some more thermal paste, I'll put in my 7750 and see what I can get. Stock runs at 2109Mhz, current is 2818Mhz. Good so far? I can't go any further, at least with what I know about overclocking. I'm very happy with it.

That's a pretty decent clock for 2.8g. Are you Stepping up the FSB to OC it? The BE CPU's have an Unlocked CPU Multiplier. You don't need to mess with the FSB Settings to OC it. Just step up your Mult.

If I remember correctly, you can juice that up to 3.0gigs You're at 2.8 now. Look up the program Prime95 and download it.. It's a Stability/Torture Test. Run that after you get a clock that you think is stable.. If Prime Runs for a couple of hours, you've got a good STABLE clock.. :cool: If not, you need to dial back some of your settings, or add a little voltage (Vcore).

Up the Multiplier 1x at a time.. 10x, Reboot, 11x Reboot, 12x Reboot.... etc etc... Until it does not boot windows. Then go back into your BIOS and step that Multiplier back a little bit.. Once it does not boot windows, then you need to up your Voltage .125v or .250 volts at a time. so, step the Multiplier up first things first.

Try a 12x Multiplier and see what that gets you.. Try to see what you can get without touching the voltage, If you want. I did that with my PII 940 and I got a Prime Stable 3.5gigs.

Hope that helps.. That's the jist of it soo far, without getting into other settings. I'm still learning and I don't know a LOT about OCing, but I've been getting a lot from here...

Here's a basic Video that helped me understand exactly what you needed to start with, as far as basic overclocking and it helped clear up the Acronyms and terminology for me.
YouTube - Overclocking (really basic)

-EDIT-
I just found a REALLY good thread! Explains everything in detail! I'm reading it now.
Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II - Overclockers Forums

Actually I have yet to use the Kuma. I'm using my 4050e. I have to wait for more thermal compound before I can put it in the board. I am stepping up the FSB, since the 4050e is locked at a 10.5 multi. It was stable on Prime at 2.8Ghz, for an hour, then I quit Prime.

Actually I have yet to use the Kuma. I'm using my 4050e. I have to wait for more thermal compound before I can put it in the board. I am stepping up the FSB, since the 4050e is locked at a 10.5 multi. It was stable on Prime at 2.8Ghz, for an hour, then I quit Prime.

oh duh... My bad. I didn't even notice the Athalon logo for some darn reason.. LOL

Disregard.. lol.. if you want 3g, just punch your FSB up to about 250. R
Regardless of if you decide to go further than 2.8g, be sure to slightly up your CPU/NB Freq and your HTT or HT Link speed.

The HT Link Speed and the NB are in direct relation to the CPU, so if you up your CPU cycles, the HT and NB must be upped too, but not at a faster clock than the CPU, about 1.2g slower than the CPU. Just remember FSB x Mult = the clock of that device weather it be the CPU, HT or the NB. Read up on that link I posted. I learned a LOT in that!!

that's weird. never heard of that. try to find the older version of it, 1.7 and try that.

I can't seem to find a lower version any, except 1.9, and I still get the same error.

oh duh... My bad. I didn't even notice the Athalon logo for some darn reason.. LOL

Disregard.. lol.. if you want 3g, just punch your FSB up to about 250. R
Regardless of if you decide to go further than 2.8g, be sure to slightly up your CPU/NB Freq and your HTT or HT Link speed.

The HT Link Speed and the NB are in direct relation to the CPU, so if you up your CPU cycles, the HT and NB must be upped too, but not at a faster clock than the CPU, about 1.2g slower than the CPU. Just remember FSB x Mult = the clock of that device weather it be the CPU, HT or the NB. Read up on that link I posted. I learned a LOT in that!!

I don't think I'm comfortable going up too much higher. I am using stock cooling right now.

I bought some thermal compound, and now my power supply is dead. :-( I have to use the stock 250 from the computer... I had to lower my clock to 2.7Ghz with the 4050e. Not even going to tempt it with the 7750...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom