Having a strange problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NexDeus

Beta member
*This is a copied list of my request for help on another forum. If it seems choppy or strange,thats why.*

Hello. My computer randomly does this, but last time it did I found some malware running and fixed it. this time however hijack this shows no problem programs running. Whats happening is my 4th core is locked at almost 100%...my overall usage is between 30 and 45 and there is NOTHING running. my system idle process says 99% but CPU usage at the bottom again is like between 30 and 45. Im so confused. A hasty answer would be nice in case this is a potentially dangerous problem.
When I reboot it goes away. Is this a hardware hic-up or do you think its windows related?

Here is my list of ideas as to what could be wrong, in order from what I hope most to hope least.

1.)Bad windows install...something related to the OS itself. (Cause thats not an easy fix)
2.) Bad Hard drive. (Im talking to you now from my other hard drive, so far no issues but it could still be windows related)
3.)Bad motherboard. (Not often will my computer lock up and Ill have to reboot, but it could be because the motherboard I have is about fried)
4.)Bad Processor. (GOD I hope not...)

I have attempted many google searches involving "phenom 9600 4th core locking" with no results, so my guess is this isnt a problem a-typical with this chip...so it has to be something else. I feel this question is in need of a computer savvy fellow...Im a fairly capable tech and Im stumpped.

Im running my other hard drive still...the problem is happening again. So, eliminate both Hard drive and windows problem...that leaves the 2 more serious ones...unless anyone knows any other tips...I fear that leaving the computer running like this is killing it...someone please help

Unfortunately I would lean toward a bad core on your cpu. Perhaps one that should have been an x3 with one core disabled.

Thinking of anything that may help:
Is your board bios up to date?
Is the a recent occurrence? if so any other major changes to your computer around the same time?
I assume we are out of the warranty period on your equipment.

Sorry for the time lapse here. Yeah Its a new problem. I just did a bios update...and the computer seemed to be fixed. It was fine for 2 days, but when I got on this morning it was doing it again. I left it on overnight so I wasn't able to see it start doing it. Im sure Im way past the warranty time also. Is there any ways to disable the core altogether or is that a manufacturers gig only? Its so dissappointing. I though phenoms were a good chip. Ive never had any problems with any other amd chip.

well, no I haven't. Reason being this isn't a problem that occurs immediately upon restart. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes, other times 2 days before It starts acting up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom