Buying Gaming Rig, $1,500-$1,900 US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yea... look at either the thermalright ultra extreme 120, xigmatek thors hammer, or the core contact if you want a cheaper option.. I still love the idea of the thors hammer with two high CFM fans though...

You will need some form of good thermal paste... i use MX-2 personally...
and you wont need that 2gb card... so.. in the spirit that more is better.. why not go for one gtx285 or 275, and plan to add another in SLI?

I agree with everything said except on the need for the 2GB GTX285. I play all new games at 1920x1200 at full settings with higher prerendered frames with absolutely no (ZERO) problems. Never once have I wished I payed for another GB of ram. For me, I'll probably pop another 285 in this build down the line a bit. Just some insight. :)

Alright, going to place my order, upped the OS to Vista Home Premium, got the sunbeam heatsink/mount, got the 1GB GPU, total came to $1,544, before $55 in rebates. With California tax and shipping it came to just over $1,700.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's this version all about, and why would I want it over the one I have listed?

Also, thanks for the suggestions on the heatsink guys, appreciate it.

the D0 stepping is the newest stepping of the i7. As a general rule if will get higher clocks at a lower vcore. Hence a better overclocker. You will be happy with either stepping. There is a good chance that you will get a D0 stepping from newegg.

so you know when you get it.

Spec code:
SLBCH = C0 stepping
SLBEJ = D0 stepping

Makes sense, if I do any OCing it will be minor, maybe to 3.2 max.

Thanks for everyone's input, expect some questions in a few days when I get the parts delivered!

-cheers

congrats man... I'm glad you decided to try it... feel free to post up any questions.. but it is very simple... almost too easy.. put this cord where it fits, this cord, this cord, turn on.. done..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom