Possible video or motherboard no work after rain/thunder storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yexusbeliever

Baseband Member
I have a problem in which I read and search online already.

Last night we have a hard rain and thunder storm. The electicity went off and I had to replace new fuse. I was on the computer before the electicity went off. By the time I return back to my room, I was tired and just went to bed. I didn't check my computer.

This morning, I checked and I turn it on. Everything seems to work. Everything except two problems. One is there is no video activity (nothing shows on the monitor screen). Two, there is no sound. The speakers are still connected to the computer. If it had just been a video card problem, wouldn't there be the sound of window startup?

So I can only possibly based upon these things that it may be a motherboard issue or a power supply. However I don't know much about computers and it can just be a video card problem. What can it be?

Please help me work on this?!?

I bet it is turning on, but not processing anything. Meaning something major is wrong like mb/ram/cpu. I leave video out because your computer would still start up without video, you would see your processor light BLINKING and you would hear windows start up.

IMO your easiest solution would be to hook up an internal speaker (probably like 4 bucks at a local shop) to your motherboard and see if it is giving an error message. Hopefully that would point you in the right direction to what needs replacement.

Were you using a surge protector? (haha, a something to protect against me :p)

If so, most times they have coverage for your items in the event that they still become damaged while using the surge protector. That is just one option so that if something is wrong you can file a claim with them to get some money for the damages.

I bet it is turning on, but not processing anything. Meaning something major is wrong like mb/ram/cpu. I leave video out because your computer would still start up without video, you would see your processor light BLINKING and you would hear windows start up.

IMO your easiest solution would be to hook up an internal speaker (probably like 4 bucks at a local shop) to your motherboard and see if it is giving an error message. Hopefully that would point you in the right direction to what needs replacement.

Okay so it's probably not the video. You say that it can't be the power supply too?

I've never heard of using an internal speaker to get my motherboard to give error messages. Please tell me exactly how this work.

surgeVel, thank you for the tip. I do have a surge protector. I guess the one I have must be lousy. I'll look into getting a new one then.

When you hit the power button does it make any noise at all (such as fans spinning or hard drive activity)?

To use an internal speaker, try going to a local PC store or Radioshack and ask for a small motherboard speaker. They look like this:
speaker.JPG

All motherboards are slightly different, but that speaker should go on your motherboard in a spot that looks like this. The four pins on the right are the speaker pins:
11-fp_hdd_led.jpg

When I hit the power button, all the fans and HDD are on, even the fans on the power supply. I only question the power supply because I remember one time I talked to the geek squad about something similar problem (without the storm) with the all the computer parts active and no screen on the motherboard. He said to me that it was the power supply. A small circuit inside was burned out and didn't bring enough power to functionally help the motherboard while the rest of the power in the power supply still gives out to the community.

What kind of tool do you do to figure out a power supply?

In my current case, I am worrying too that it may be the motherboard. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-P35-DS3L (rev. 2.0)

Does it have a internal speaker built in? or no?

I try searching on google to find how to use the internal speaker and there is limited information. Can you help me understand how to use it? Some info links? Tutorials?

You just plug it into the pins like I showed in my picture and turn on your computer. If there is a problem with your mobo the speaker will send out a beap code on it's own. You look up the code in your computer's motherboard manual and see what it says.

There are also PSU testers if you want to make sure your PSU is fully functioning. Again you can probably find one at a local PC shop or Radioshack:
1.gif

I would think its most likely the PSU. Normally the power supplies protection prevents any other components from getting fried. Even if fans are coming on, it could still be the PSU, but if you want to make sure buy a tester as Surge said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom