Buying Gaming Rig, $1,500-$1,900 US

Status
Not open for further replies.
For water cooling I would take a look at this. Petra's Tech Shop

But, If you are not planning on some serious overclocking you would be better served with air cooling for a bit until you are ready to get your feet "wet".

Looks like a nice water cooling kit, and the price reflects it.

As for OCing the cpu, I won't go near it for a few months, so maybe I'll stick with air for now. I just need to find a better case I suppose.

I revised my parts,

Case: CM HAF 932 $144.99
PSU: Corsair 750W $119.99
CPU: Intel i7 920 Nehalem $279.99
MoBo: Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Intel x58: $289.99
RAM: 3x2GB OCZ DDR3 1600 $110.99
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 285 2GB $402.00
HD1: WD Black 640GB $74.99
HD2: WD Caviar 1TB $99.99
DVD R/W: LG $24.99
BluRay: Lite-On $89.99

So I have $1,827.90 in parts now. Upgraded the case to a nicely ventilated CM, swapped some pieces, ditched others, still seems a bit high. I'm not sold on downgrading the GPU, either.

I'm hesitant to use Windows 7, seems risky to me. If I had to shave off, say, another $100-300 off this build, what would be the first to go?

I was thinking the hard drives, but I'd like to have the OS on one and storage on the other. A few of you mentioned my GPU, but I'd like to keep this machine for a while and with the new games coming out, I may need a solid card for the visual settings I play with. Vista is pretty expensive, wish I could get it for much cheaper :)

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems
$99 vs $189 -$90

You could drop the hd2 for now.
-$99

You could drop the blue ray for now.
-$89

This gtx285 Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
$345 + $20mir versus $402 -$57 -$20mir
2gb of memory is unnecessary unless you are playing at resolutions above 1920x1200.

This combo for mb, cpu and ram: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
$620 + $20mir versus $681 -$61 - $20mir
Same motherboard, same gpu and 6gb of OCZ Gold 1600.

That is a savings of $396 with $40 in mir.

Also when you get your final build list together put it up with links so we can make sure no mistake was made.

Awesome, I didn't even think about checking newegg for combo deals, and I used to frequent that site quite a bit. Silly me.

I'll decide on the GPU and losing the 2nd HD, but I want to keep the BluRay since I don't have a player/PS3 system in my room.

As for the OEM Vista, will it make any difference? I've always just had package deals with my previous computers where the OS was already part of the deal.

Again, thanks for all your help!

My thoughts exactly, I found a few combos already.

Removing the second HD, and keeping my original GPU selection, I came to a total of $1,532.90 (before the 2x$20 rebates). That puts me at $1,492.90 after the rebates, not bad at all.

Newegg.com Shopping Cart

Anything else I should throw in there, for a self build?

shopping cart does not show your build.

Have you selected a heatsink for this build?
What resolution do you game at because I do not see the benefit of the 2gb gtx285 versus the 1gb version?

Sorry, I closed the window and it erased the link. If I drop the GPU to a 1GB card, the price adjusts to $1,474 before rebates. I have not added any other items, such as heatsinks. Last one I bought was around $35 if I recall correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom