Copying DVDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vormund

Daemon Poster
I wasn't quite sure where to put this, as it could be multiple things (software, hardware etc!) But was curious if someone could tell me...

I recently purchased a DVD+/-RW, and some DVD-R's with 4.7 GB capacity. I tried copying a DVD and the image of it was about 8 GB, are there different sizes? (This was a single-sided DVD...). And also, what software do you reccommend? Currently I use Nero 6.

Your gonna have to use DVD-Decrypter to rip the movie to your hard drive, then you can use Nero Recode and just burn the main movie and leave out all the menu's and that,that's the only way it will fit on a 4.7G disk.

I would recommend using this to decrypt the DVD (.vob) to the HDD. Each DVD has a different size. Some can be 4 Gb, while others can be 9 Gb. It depends on the length of the movie, and the features that are present.

I use DVD shrink to backup my DVD. It is free just google it It also allows you to get rid of the extras etc.... and it will compress it to 4.7 G so it will fit on a single DVD

use reauthor mode in DVDshrink. take out all of the audio tracks except 5.1 english & only include the main movie

Awsome, thanks!

One more quick question...! My DVD+/-RW says it can do up to 4.7GB disks--does that mean there's no way it could support a larger size, or they just don't ensure it? (It was a "free after rebate" at Office Max--I can't complain too much!)

Thanks for all the info...that program DVD Shrink looks awsome, for being free and all :D (Downloading now.)

Also! On a related topic...is there any way to compress these images of DVDs? (As in, to simply store the 8GB image on the computer, but also reduce the size (WinRar/Zip or something?)...just curious as an alternative...! Thanks.

They started making 4.85 GB DVD. Maybe they will become the standard for single sided DVD like the 700 MB CD replaced the 600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom