strange problems with a Dimension 4100

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I am having some strange problems with a Dell Dimension 4100. I just added a dvd burner so now it has a cd burner(the one that came with the pc) and a dvd burner. Now I can not get it to boot from the cd. I think I have tried every possible combination of hooking the drives up. I have tried using the cd burner as the frist boot device, the dvd burner as the first boot device. I have tried just using one at a time.

The funny thing is the way I have it hooked up right now, dvd drive as the master and the cd drive as the slave, it comes to the screen where it tries to boot from the cd, where the line blinks, but nothing ever comes up about pressing a key.

Now here is the strange problem. It may be connected to the first problem, don't know for sure. As the drives are hooked up right now, when I first turn the pc on, the monitor keeps blinking on and off several times, you know like when you are installing Windows. Nothing shows up on screen until the boot screen. Well, while I was messing with the cd drives, I got the Dell logo and everything else to show up like it was supposed to but it still didn't boot from the cd. At one point it would freeze at the Dell logo. I just can't remember how they were hooked up.

With the way the drives are hooked up right now, the monitor shuts on and off several times during startup and it does not boot from the cd.

I hope I explained everything clear enough.

I got the dvd problem figured out. It was the dvd I was trying to use. It was one I made myself. But the dvd I was trying to use works fine on a different pc. Why wouldn't it work on this one?

I am still confused about the monitor shutting on and off several times during startup. Now when I go into bios and when it restarts after I exit, it does not shut on and off. What is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom