HTPC build (AVCHD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

telboy77

Beta member
Hello everyone. I'm currently doing some research for a HTPC build. Ideally, the PC will used as a HTPC with sufficient capabilities to be used for video editing, especially the rendering of AVCHD from my canon HG20. I was considering using the following components:

Motherboard:
ASUS M4A78T-E

Processor:
AMD phenom x4 9950, 4mb cache

Ram:
Corsair XM52 4gb

Hard drive:
2x 500gb Western Digital caviar green

Power supply:
Hec x - power pro 650w

My main concern is whether this set-up will have sufficient capabilities to render AVCHD. Thanks in advance.

Why are you getting the 9950? At that cost, you'd be better off going with an x3 720...not to mention the 9950 won't work in the motherboard you chose, and neither will the RAM.

Get these parts instead:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Desktop Memory

That PSU is something I would not gamble on. If you are using a normal sized case, I would get this:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Has a promo code for 5 bucks that ends tomorrow, and a $20 MIR, making it 50 bucks after all is said and done.

You won't need a whole lot of power if you aren't getting a dedicated GPU. The 450 will be fine.

EDIT: Wait. You're from the UK, aren't you?

EDITEDIT:

If you're from the UK, get these parts.

AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6GHz, Socket AM3, Retail - Aria Technology
Asus M4A78PRO AMD 780G Socket AM2+ Motherboard - Aria Technology
Corsair 4GB PC2-6400 C5 XMS2 (2x2GB) - Aria Technology
OCZ 500W StealthXstream Power Supply PSU - Aria Technology

Thank you very much for the advice. I've been doing a bit more research and I'm considering the following component's:

Motherboard: Asus M4A78T-E

Processor: AMD Phenom II 955 Quad-core 3200ghz (AM3)

Ram: Corsair dominator DHX 4gb DDR-3

Hard drive's: Caviar black 250gb, Caviar green 1tb (for storage)

I was also considering an Antec sonata III 500 Black steel case with 500w built in PSU. What is your opinion on case's with built in power supplies?

Any opinions and constructive criticism welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom