New Phenom build help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SH-YES! Go with the GB board! I had one (still do, need RMA) and I LOVED it! It was a fast board, for the little time it ran (I accidentally fried it.. :( )..
THIS one: Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H Socket AM2+ ATX Motherboard, AMD 790GX Chipset, Supports AM2+/AM2 CPUs, Dual DDR2 1066, SATA 3Gb/s RAID, ATI CrossFireX - Discount Online Store Dallas Texas

I'm not really impressed with the Asus M4a Board I'm running now.. It doesn't clock very well, IMHO.

how did you fry it so i know not to make the same mistake lol.

i have a follow up question about bridge cooling.

How well do those fanless north and south bridge coolers work?

I was planning on getting a water cool kit. Is there a way i can check if all the blocks would work on my board?

The board that was linked to you in the first reply supports AM3 right out of the box.

And thresh, that's really not true. It's all 790 chipsets, some 780G chipsets, and misc other chipsets, but they are few and far between. Pretty much any board besides the 790 chipsets will support it AFTER a BIOS flash.

AM2+ will NOT work in AM3.

yeah I didn't really know. I had just thought that, and figured I would say something to see if someone had fact to prove my thinking. Good to know I suppose though. My biostar didn't need a bios flash ;)

i would stick with the q6600 for the time being, i cant really justify the money for a whole new build at the moment, with a upgrade from your 8800gt, you will def. notice a huge difference with say a 4890. then grab a nice cooler for your cpu, core contact would be good, and if its an older q6600 it will overclock quite nicely, expect about 3.2-4ghz for a good overclock.

i would stick with the q6600 for the time being, i cant really justify the money for a whole new build at the moment, with a upgrade from your 8800gt, you will def. notice a huge difference with say a 4890. then grab a nice cooler for your cpu, core contact would be good, and if its an older q6600 it will overclock quite nicely, expect about 3.2-4ghz for a good overclock.

I already have a tuniq tower 120 in my pc. I'm not gonna lie, i know this isn't the worlds biggest upgrade but i think the 3.0ghz BE is a nice upgrade from the q6600 especially when i get around to overclocking it. In addition i managed to haggle my prices and get the whole build under 1500, plus if i sell my old PC for 750 like i was planning i think it's a solid upgrade for 750

I would have to whole heartedly disagree. I'm not sure but clock for clock I don't think the phenom is much faster if at all. And you can overclocked the crap out of the q6600. I'd just buy a nice video card and save up for an i7 build. Then you can still use the video card you just bought when you go i7.

Well, depending on how old or new the q6600 is, it could probably crap at around 3.0ghz, and the Phenom II 940 will do 3.7-3.8ghz with a good cooler, plus its faster than the q6600 clock per clock; but I agree that its not worth buying the Phenom II 940 regardless of how good it is.

I say wait for Core i5, which I think comes out in a few weeks right?

Well i was originally going to go for an i7 build. I have another thread going around here somewhere. I just wasn't prepare to dump 2k into that build.

Selling the my pc was more a favor. I didn't really need to but my brother needed a PC badly.

Anyway i could still do the i7 build.

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection. has a prebuilt option where they take all the parts you ordered and build your PC for 50 bucks. Anyone have any experience with features like that or is it still better to build it myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom