10K Build, not kidding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesMW

Baseband Member
Ok, right to the point. A friend of a friend wants me to build a computer for him and as you may guess, he is rather wealthy. He told me to build him the best computer for 10,000 and that then he wanted me to massively overclock it. He ignored me when I told him you will never need a computer that expensive and got mad at me when I said he has WAY to much money. In the end he offered to pay me for it so I said I'd look into it, AKA talk to you guys. I really don't think I am experienced enough for this and have no idea what to get. However, I have to admit that the idea of building a computer without a budget is oddly alluring lol.

Here is what I have so far (basically nothing).

Mobo: ? Skulltrail??
CPU: Core i7 975, Skulltrail???
GPU: SLI GTX295 or Tri SLI GTX285, which is better?
RAM: 12 GB Corsair dominators DDR3 2000
CASE:?
PSU: ?
HDD: 4 SSDs in RAID 10? God this is insane!
SOUND:?
COOLING: Never done liquid cooling except getting rid of crappy ones.
WHATEVER ELSE INSANE COMPUTERS HAVE: ?

I have built two rigs in the past, an i7 and an Phenom. Just thought you guys should know my skill level.

If you can recommend a good prebuilt I could recommend it to him.

On that budget you could get phase cooling, I don't know much about that though.

Edit: Evil post count btw...

How about we build him a 5k machine and you give me the other 5k? :| It's really nice to be able to throw that much money around...

To answer your question about SLI though, the 285s in tri sli are better.

As for a case, you should get a Silverstone: Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE TJ07-BW Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Why not grab this mobo... Newegg.com - ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer LGA 1366 Intel X58 CEB Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Two kits of this RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Perfect Storm 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL8T-6GBPS - Desktop Memory

Three of these: Newegg.com - Hanns·G HG-281DPB Black 27.5" 3ms Widescreen LCD HDMI Monitor 500 cd/m2 800:1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

Three of these: Newegg.com - XFX GX285XZWBF GeForce GTX 285 1GB Black Edition 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Obviously this... Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Might as well "GO FOR THE BEST LOLZ" enermax here... Newegg.com - ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

This optical... Newegg.com - LG Black 6X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 6X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive Model GGW-H20L - Blu-Ray Burners

Two of these: Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

3 of these (RAID 5): Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

All that crap comes to $5,968.48 after shipping, then you get a whopping 60 bucks back in an MIR.

For water cooling, you can start with this kit: Petra's Tech Shop

I suppose 3 of these if you want to do some GPU cooling: Petra's Tech Shop

I'm assuming you will need another rad but I'm not sure. Someone else who knows more about water cooling than me will know...

I agree with you guys, I don't actually want to build this horrific monstrosity. However I am very susceptible to bribes and he's bribing me pretty well. And no, I am not doing this just for fun, I have better things to waste my time on(no offense waffle, I can understand how some people would do that).

BTW what is phase cooling? I hear that term tossed around sometimes.

Anyways, just out of curiosity, what do you guys think of skulltrail? I am pretty sure it comes under the category of useless overly expensive stuff that is unreliable and offers very little return.

BTW I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Mods, feel free to move it.

$10k is just over kill for a PC , the $5k system hikaricloud put together is really good - maybe add some solid state drives for a bit more bling. I guess if your friend is really set on a $10k system (for some people the price tag adds to the enjoyment like those people who buy a $2000 bottle of wine for a meal) then i'd suggest he specs out a custom Alienware computer ; they'll be able to satisfy his budget.

Alienware High-Performance Notebooks, PCs & Workstations

I guess atleast he's adding to the economy....

How tech savvy is this guy? He can't be too tech savvy if he wants this expensive of a machine.

So somehow I doubt he's tech savvy enough to change out his coolant every now and then. I'd stick with air cooling.

Build a ~$4500 computer, but order two of everything. Get a nice computer for yourself. ;)

"Way too much money"..? What about saving it? There's plenty of people who were ungodly rich only to see it evaporate. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom