Is my hard-drive dead???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUSTJANGRA

Beta member
i m using dell system optiplex GX150 (quite old one)
and now a days i m facing a problem regarding my hd.
whenever i starts my comp.
i simply got an error like this

"DELL'S DISK MONITORING SYSTEM HAS DETECTED THAT DRIVE 0 ON THE PRIMARY EIDE CONTROLLER IS OPERATING OUTSIDE OF NORMAL SPECIFICATIONS. IT IS ADVISABLE TO IMMEDIATELY BACK UP YOUR DATA AND REPLACE YOUR HARD-DRIVE BY CALLING YOUR SUPPORT DESK OR DELL COMPUTER CORPORATION.

STRIKE THE F1 KEY TO CONTINUE, F2 TO RUN SETUP UTILITY

When i press f1

DISK READ ERROR OCCURRED PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL TO RESTART "

and most imp. thing is that my harddisk keep ticking i.e. constantly give tick - tick sound.

as i myself have a gud hardware knowledge which says that it is dead.

if i send it to DELL for repairing they will surely replace it wid new one and also take minimum of 15 -20 days.
i have much imp. data in this HD.
so i dont want to loose it . now i dont have a comp. to work on and i m using LAPTOP of my frnd.
now i m typing this in my mobile.
THE most strange thing is that this prob. occures suddenly when i doing sum work on it and it suddenly hangs and got off and after it doesnt START.

NOW THESE FORUMS ARE MY LAST HOPE.

much help appreciated .
plz plz frndz help me.

i wud be grateful to u all plz.

Well with clicking noises your assumption is correct that the drive has most likely failed.

Perhaps it is time for the freezer trick.
Do not laugh I am serious. :)
Pull the hard drive and put it in a plastic bag in the freezer for around an hour.
Have a hard drive or cd's ready to receive your important data. USB hard drive is the best.
Plug it back in and get as much data off of it as you can. If you are lucky you may have 15 minutes.
Sometimes you can repeat this process 3 or 4 times and it does not work for all types of drive failures.

If not it is pay the high price of pro data recovery where they pull the platters and do it that way.

STILL NO LUCK BUDDY everything is same except now i can go to partitions through windows XP installation CD but it is showing just one partition that of c . Moreover thats also not correct. it is showing
' C: Partition1 unknown - 32254 MB ( 32253MB free)'

how it could be all free

i have three drives and the 'C:' is around 15gb . the other two's are 40 , 20 respectively.
now frm where that 32GB drive comes . when i press enter on c to install , it asks for format which i dont want , so i returns and quit.

now i m confused and hopeless plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom