Computer died need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartlley

Beta member
Hello all,

I need help on my computer because it crapped out and I do not know what the problem is exactly.

One day I turned my computer on, and the initial BIOS screen comes up and It gets past the "memory testing" then "Memory frequency DDR333 or something like that, and just freezes and never moves from there.

This is a custom build computer, so I opened it up and realized I had not cleaned the dust out in a very long time, there was dust caked to everything ( and its a pretty nice computer might I add) Dust was completely covering the heat sync and fan on the CPU as well as everywhere else. I am guess maybe the dust caused heat build up and crapped out something.

Does anyone know what part exactly crapped out or how I can determine how to figure out what part broke on me.

Thanks in advance!

Well, you know whats in it for parts?

How much ram exactly... A good quick check is with a linux liveCD, as it'll determine software or hardware, and your HD. Maybe grab Memtest so you can also check your RAM at the same time.

However, the heat could have ate a couple things.

I know I only have 512MB of RAM, its an older computer from about 4 years ago I built, It has a Radeon 9600 video card, and AMD processor or some sorts and a ATI mother board I will have the exact specs later. But do you think If i just get new RAM that could be the problem. Someone also brought to my attention that it could possibly by that CMOS battery.

Is that a possibility?

-EDIT-

it also does not let me enter set up, the BIOS screen, anything, it just freezes

Well, RAMS dirt cheap, getting a 512 or 1G will only help in the long run... well unless you fried something big.

Best would be to ask freinds if they have any around to try.

Does your comp beep? or did it beep in the past?

No it does not beep, I just starts up like normal and freezes at the memory frequency line as stated above. Do you know anything about the CMOS battery or how to switch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom