Upgrading a 2005 system....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentMichael

Solid State Member
Hi. I have an older gaming PC from 2005. The video card recently died out on me, and now I need a replacement. There is no need to troubleshoot my current problem, as I already have figured it out. Now I need some advice.

I know this computer isn't "high performance" anymore, but it was, I just didn't know where I should put it.
Here are its current specs:
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI
CPU: AMD Athlon64 4000+ (San Diego core)
RAM: 1GB (512MBx2) PC3200 (Corsair XMS)
Video: nVidia GeForce 7800GTX (eVga 256MB)

Other than the video card, which needs replacing anyway, I know that the RAM might need to go up to 2GB. I know that the CPU will be a huge bottleneck. And it can't be upgraded because Socket 939 is dead.

The games that will be used for this computer will be Source games (L4D, TF2, DOD:S, HL2) and Call of Duty 4/WAW.

Any suggestions as to what specific parts I should upgrade the video card and RAM to? It should be able to hold me out for a little more than a year, where I will probably get a completely new PC by then.

I'm looking to spend around $100, you can go over if you need to, but not by too much.

Thanks.

Wow you basically have the exact system I have. I know I went through the same issues with socket 939.

If you could stretch your budget just a bit around $20 more:
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-1150-TR GeForce GTS 250 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
or
Newegg.com - XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Depends upon your brand preference but the ATI card is just a little bit better. You would be happy with either card.

What PSU do you have. Both of there cards need around a 450watt PSU.

For ~$100 you could go with Hefs suggestions or also try and find a 4770 or get a 4830.

Also you actually could upgrade the cpu since they did make X2 and dual core opterons for skt939. You might be able to find one cheap.

Good luck of finding a x2 skt 939 cheap. Trust me I tried. For the price you would have to pay you are better saving to upgrade your mb, cpu and ram.

Now gpu is not a waste as it could be moved to a new build. Purchasing ram might be a bit of a waste of cash. Just depends upon your upgrade time table.

Yeh and getting anything more than a HD4850 is kinda pointless because that cpu will already be a bottleneck. Just get that or a GTS250 of you cant afford one and save for a new system later.

Good luck of finding a x2 skt 939 cheap. Trust me I tried. For the price you would have to pay you are better saving to upgrade your mb, cpu and ram.

Now gpu is not a waste as it could be moved to a new build. Purchasing ram might be a bit of a waste of cash. Just depends upon your upgrade time table.

What is considered a good price for an x2?

i remember searching for one a year ago and they were **** expensive still for such old tech. Surely they gotta drop in price by now...

Sometimes old tech will actually cost about as much as new tech. I'm guessing because of supply and demand. For instance I think DDR1 ram is about as much as DDR3 ram now. I think a skt939 X2 3800 was about $65 2 years ago but I have no clue what they are now or anyone still sells them new.

Im searching around and new ones are $100+. Atleast the 4200 and up. I checked out Ebay and there are used ones that can be won for under 100, possibly 50.

Very tempted to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom