OCing for the first time w/ stock cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

In Runtime
I have decided to try and over clock my current rig.
I am running an e7200 on a p43 mobo with a stock cooler.
I would like to get 3.0 ghz if possible ?

What programs do I need and do I just go into the BIOS and adjust the FSB settings by 10 mhz or so and reboot and do a stress test?

please give me guidance so my compy doesn't wind up in a landfill..

I highly recommend you don't OC using a stock cooler. Though you might be able to get to 3GHz without too much heat increase, depends on how much you need to up the CPU Vcore.

Overclocking on stock cooling isn't really recommended, but it's doable. Only reason I'm doing it is I can't afford an aftermarket HSF right now, lol.

Anyway, try going up in small increments and raising the vcore slightly as well. I would say a safe range on stock cooling for that CPU would be between 2.8 and 3.0ghz...but you have to double check your temps, because there are plenty of variables, including your cases airflow, ambient temps, case positioning, etc.

Highly recommend you getting an aftermarket HSF though.

Thats kind of what i was thinking, but several people have said that they have reached 3.15 to 3.3 using a stock cooler, because they don't have to up the vcore as much on this CPU. But, I am no expert, which is why i am asking you guys.

I don't have a lot of experience with that CPU, so I can't speak for it specifically, lol. :p I was just giving an opinion on a safe overclock. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to hit 3ghz, just make sure you check out your temps. Use Prime95 or IBT to check them out, and to see if it's stable.

Will do.
is there a certain mhz to vcore volts I should know about?
I guess I am asking , how do I know when to raise the vcore along with the mhz?

Trust me, you'll know. ;)

Most of the time, it will error out, BSOD, and restart while you are testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom