New Phenom build help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was pretty sure you could use an am2+ on an am3 board. Just about all am2+ support am3 though, bios flash not needed.

The board that was linked to you in the first reply supports AM3 right out of the box.

And thresh, that's really not true. It's all 790 chipsets, some 780G chipsets, and misc other chipsets, but they are few and far between. Pretty much any board besides the 790 chipsets will support it AFTER a BIOS flash.

AM2+ will NOT work in AM3.

I was pretty sure you could use an am2+ on an am3 board. Just about all am2+ support am3 though, bios flash not needed.

This is true in a sense, but as he asked, "With DDR3", you cannot.

For a AM2+ CPU to work in a AM3 Motherboard, you'll need DDR2 slots, seeing as the AM2/AM2+ CPU's lack the DDR3 memory controllers.

In addition to all of that, the CPU socket needs to be universal so that it will accept both the AM2 and AM3 layouts.
Its just a big headache to explain, go with what I suggested in the second post, you can't go wrong.

I currently have a q6600.

It's a good CPU but my case,MB,GPU are all below average now. I really kinda just want to get a good amd chip and board and OC the **** out of it for fun.

Whatever helps me do that i'll be interested in.

I currently have a q6600.

You shoulda said so... q6600 is an awesome CPU. no need to upgrade that, IMHO. What Mobo you have? Maybe you only need a GPU upgrade????

Shoot.. if you end up upgrading, I'll take your CPU ;-)

You shoulda said so... q6600 is an awesome CPU. no need to upgrade that, IMHO. What Mobo you have? Maybe you only need a GPU upgrade????

Shoot.. if you end up upgrading, I'll take your CPU ;-)

I have an 8800GT and a Pa-35 DS3L antec 900 case.

I made alot of mistakes my first build and i really want to try water cooling so i figure this is a decent time to try it.

Your Giga Board aint that bad, neither is you GPU. But if you MUST upgrade, try the GPU first. That 4890 is pretty sweet. After you get that and you still need more juice, then look at Mobo/CPU.

I dont think your gonna get that much of a performance boost going from your Q6600 to AMD X3. Here's a nifty bench comparing the two CPU's

AnandTech Bench (beta): Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 vs AMD Phenom II X3 720

Sorry, i dont think I saw what you'll be doing on the PC mostly; gaming/encoding???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom