No Boot - No Beep - No Video - No PC :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightvving

Beta member
Hi, last week I decided to go ahead and make that change from XP to Visita. Well my PC must have gotten scared because once I restarted it and hit del to enter the bios, it died. Well to make a long story short, I pulled it, did all the common things such as barebone it, and test different things outside the case. Well somehow it touched my case (it was out of it) and I saw a small power arch, and then I couldn't get the board to boot. It was a DFI DK X38. Onboard LED errorcode was C1-01 for anyone who understands those. The RMA department told Me it meant the northbridge went out.

New Rig: (Using existing parts pulled from the DFI, Including the cpu. Only new part was the mobo and its refurb)
E8400 3.0ghz duo core 2 wolfdale
Asrock N7AD-SLI
8 GB DDR2 800 AData Memory (PC2-6400 Timing 5-5-5-18 Voltage 2.0V - 2.1V)
2 MSI R4850-T2D512 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
My intentions were to CrossfireX them on Vista, as this motherboard can do Crossfire and SLI. If the thing would boot.
Arrrow Switching Power Supply - 600W

Ok I've tried the following steps: Build Outside of Case, Reseating Memory, trying just 1 memory module, Unhooking everything but the crucials i.e. CPU Fan, Video Card Power connectors, I've even tried plugging in the moltex plug for the video card. (If You've seen the board, You'd know it has a moltext four pin plug right by the video cards, to further power sli/crossfire mode) I've reset the cmos, Someone suggested flashing the bios but I have no idea if You can on this board)

Variances I've tried unsuccessfully:
I've tried a 380W Raidmax RX-380K PSU
I've tried an identical motherboard, which is what I have now, I RMA'ed the first Asrock to Newegg.
I've tried Samsung 512 MB memory, unsure of its timings, it was a system pull when I got my Wife's e-machine, I upgraded the ram immediately.
I've tried an ATI/Gigabyte 2400XT, ATI/MSI 3850.
I've ensured my Monitor was working still, by hooking it to Her pc.

I'm fully stumped Here. I couldn't see getting another bad mobo with the same issue from Newegg. And unless the raidmax psu was doa when I purchased my case, Its not the psu. One strange thing I find is that as soon as I flick the power switch on, on the psu's, the fans immediately start spinning, without pressing the power button on the case (power button wire outstretched to board, sitting on desk) So I use the power button to turn it off, then back on, still nothing. Just lights. Now, I live in a hick town, the only pc shop here already said I've already tried past the extent of their knowledge, and they have no way to test intel boards/proccessors. They sell/support amd. Well, I've run out of ideas except for one. Is it possible that I zapped my chip when my original dfi lanparty board bumped the case? I don't want to really consider that being the possibility right now because $300.00 for a new chip these days is crazy if its unnecessary because I just don't have the budget for it. If theres anymore information I can supply, please let Me know. I'll be checking this later this evening.

It sounds like there's something up with either your CPU or your RAM. You said you had tried "trying just 1 memory module"; does this mean you've tested each module on it's own, or that you've just tried one of the modules? Because the former would tell you either all your RAM is dead (I assume it was all in the board when the short happened?). You say you tried Samsung 512MB memory, do you mean on it's own (sorry to be nitpicky)? If so then I'm almost sure your CPU is the problem.

I would suspect the power supply. The brand you picked isn't known for being the most dependable. I always see people trying to save money by buying a cheaper priced power supply which is bad. Your power supply needs to deliver clean, smooth power to all your components. As an example, if you had a heart attack and needed a pacemaker, would you want a cheap economical one or a sturdy more costly unit :D

I would suspect the power supply. The brand you picked isn't known for being the most dependable. I always see people trying to save money by buying a cheaper priced power supply which is bad. Your power supply needs to deliver clean, smooth power to all your components. As an example, if you had a heart attack and needed a pacemaker, would you want a cheap economical one or a sturdy more costly unit :D

I had thought of that, but he said he tried two different power supplies; the Raidmax and the Arrow Switching thing. So unless there's something wrong with both, I doubt it's the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom