New Phenom build help

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBM/PS1

In Runtime
I had another thread going about possibly doing an i7 build. I rethought my need for an i7 and i figured a Good phenom chip would suit my needs better.

I don't really have any experience with AMD.

Can anyone recommend a good CPU and board for the phenom series?

Is it worth getting an AM3 for DDR3 or is the performance boost minor?

Hickaricloud has that board and raves about it. He is running a X3 in it, but i don't remember his OC offhand.

Sorry for doubting you guys but i see boards ranging from 75 dollars to over 500.

I assumed it was cheap.

Would i be able to hook up a swiftech water cooling kit to this board with no problems?

to answer your question above, no, having ddr3 will provide no substantial increase over ddr2 setup. this is because ddr3 as you know has high latency timings compared to ddr2 and the speed does not really benefit you as much as the tighter timings do, go with a nice set of gskill black PI clk4 ram.

Hickaricloud has that board and raves about it. He is running a X3 in it, but i don't remember his OC offhand.

Here I go raving again, lol. :p

24/7 is 3.5ghz on stock cooling at the moment, max of 3.939ghz completely unstable, lol.

I decided to take a chance on this board when I bought it, since my dealings with Biostar were a few years ago, and they used to be junk. But this is one of the best boards I've ever seen. Great features, solid board.

This board was actually used for the previous x3 720 WR overclock. It's a solid board for a good price, and will do you well.

I was actually thinking of getting DDR 3 ram.

Can anyone recommend a good AM3 board ?

EDIT:

I found this board Newegg.ca - MSI 790GX-G65 AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Seems really nice

Has holes around the bridges to install water cooling

Along with

NCIX.com - Buy AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.2GHZ 8MB Cache 125W 45NM Retail Box - HDZ955FBGIBOX In Canada.

Does anyone know the difference between the 955 and the 945 ? Is it just a few extra mhz overclocked?

The 955 is faster than the 945 but it's priced 5 dollars lower.... Maybe a price messup

Like was said previously, DDR3 is a waste in an AMD build. You see the slightest of increases in speed. No need to pay an extra premium for DDR3 without an i7 build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom