Computer Just Died :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeemis

Solid State Member
Last night, I was on my PC and it worked fine. I turned it off (like I do every night) and when I turned it back on, it didn't work.
(I've heard you're not suppose to turn your computer off unless you really have to, ie: going on trips, but I didn't know if that was true)

For the last few months, my computer has been locking up on me, it shows a solid green light and a red flashing light next to the power-on button and reset button, the red buttons icon is a "can" or something.
When ever it would lock up, it'd go bright red until it stopped locking up.
This only really started when I installed Vista... >_<

So I turned on my PC this morning like I do everyone morning and my screen wouldn't turn on, well to be more exact...
My monitor with not cables going to my CPU, it says I need to connect them. It shows a brownish-orange light when something isn't right and a green light when it works perfectly and I get a picture on the monitor. I at first thought maybe something was wrong with the monitor or a cable came loose but I shortly after found out that my keyboard lights didn't blink when the computer was reset. (My keyboard is also a keyboard that has lights under the keys, they don't show now when I turn the PC on.)

The PC does turn on like normal, but my mouse and keyboard have no power to them, same with my monitor so I think it's the monitor.
When I turn on my PC, the red light goes solid red for a few seconds, then it goes black again, same goes for when I hold the power-on button for five seconds. When I open my disc drive and close it, it seems like it resets the PC altogether.

I believe the motherboard is fried but I don't know, any idea guy?
Please help.

do you have any other parts to test with, even another monitor?
(it sounds like either the psu or the motherboard is bad)

btw, can you list your specs?

cpu:
motherboard:
ram:
powersupply:
video card:
ect, ect.

do you have any other parts to test with, even another monitor?
(it sounds like either the psu or the motherboard is bad)

btw, can you list your specs?

cpu: Don't know
motherboard: All I know is it's a quad-core Phenom.
ram: 3 gigs of rom
powersupply: This
video card: NVidia GeForce 9800 GT (Evga)
ect, ect.

I bought my PC on CyberPowerPC and this was the recommend PSU at the time so I went with it. :/

do you get a HDD light flash at all during all this?

If you leave it on standby or on all the time, it could be a tired PSU.. I shut it off completely if I'll be away from it for more than an hour or two. Nothing wrong with shutting it off, a reboot never hurts.

Run a CMOS rest first things first.. Maybe an ACP (i think that's it) or standby setting issue. Some PSU's have a fuse in them, from what I've heard. -Just an idea.

Sounds like a fried component. If the PSU had failed more than likely the computer would not even turn on. So it is getting power, just nothing is coming on the sreen right?

If that is the case see if the computer is 'thinking.' If it is it could just be the video card (yes even if it is onboard video the video card could be fried or dead). See if you can hook up an internal speaker (really small device that connects to the MB) to see if you get any error codes. My guess is you will, and with that error code we can determine which piece of the computer needs replaced.

I have to tell you guys something rather interesting.
I just wiped my HDD and downgraded to Windows XP and I have yet to get one freeze up.
I've been on it for hours, I didn't shut my PC off last night either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom