1k Gaming/First Time Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkpitt45

Daemon Poster
I am badly in need of a new pc... Just looking at the Dell dimension 3100 sitting beside me makes me depressed. The smudge tool in PS only has a half second delay on good days, Diablo 2 is limited to low-medium... I'm coming from almost nothing and looking for something that'll last a good 3 years with the ability to upgrade easily.

I'm looking to order the parts by next week (after exams) and my budget is around $1000. $900 something would be preferably so the family doesn't get mad at me spending a good chunk of earnings on one thing, only if the performance difference is small though.

I've decided on an AMD build just because of the price/performance difference. Looking around and reading articles it seems Intel is faster, but AMD is more bang for your buck. Although if a cheaper/equivalent Intel build is available I could take that.
I'd like to play games mostly on it, along with office, Illustrator CS4 and Photoshop CS4, which are usable on my current pc so the new one will have no problem.

Won't be needing a keyboard (got a logitechg15) mouse, monitor or speakers.

Current resolution is 1024 X 768... I swear I had it up to 1280 X 1024 though....

Here's what I've gotten so far, I'm in Ontario Canada also so newegg.ca is where I'll be getting parts from.

CPU/Processor

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor
Newegg.ca - AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Processors - Desktops

I liked the idea of the triple core, plus the chance of getting a free fourth is nice.

Motherboard

ASUS M4A78 Plus ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.ca - ASUS M4A78 Plus AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Really not sure on the motherboard, this is the cheapest/best I could find, someone recommended asus because of the
customer support.

Video Card

EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB
Newegg.ca - EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Can apparently run anything on high settings, free COD is nice.

Power Supply

Antec EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2
Newegg.ca - Antec EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Pretty sure that'll be enough and it had almost all good reviews.

Hard Drive

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB
Newegg.ca - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

I don't need a terabyte, survived with a 245gb for 3 years and it still isn't full.

RAM

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Newegg.ca - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBNT - Desktop Memory

Case

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB Black
Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB Black /Blue Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

The total for all of that is 783$ CAD, plus the 106$ Tax and 50$ shipping comes to 936$. For me price is a fairly big thing, but performance has to be good. I don't need something that'll run crysis at 60fps with AA,details, and everything maxed, while encoding video and doing other intensive activities. As long it runs any new games for the next few years at medium-high its good. Starcraft 2, diablo 3, Supreme Commander 2, and Star wars: The old Republic will probably be what I'll be playing. Along with crysis just to show off to friends XD.

Edit: Forgot OS, thinking of going with windows 7 beta until it comes out, as long as it isn't too hard to install as I have no experience whatsoever with OS installs.

Any suggestions/improvements/comments are all appreciated. Thanks in advance;
Ryan

At 1024X768, you won't need that video card.
Newegg.ca - SAPPHIRE 100258-1GHDMI Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Instead, since you'll be running at such a low resolution. (But if you plan to upgrade your monitor later to something around 22-24 inches, this will still do VERY good)

Anyways, get
Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Instead of that motherboard/CPU.

Newegg.ca - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Get that instead of the Antec PSU.

Newegg.ca - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B - Desktop Memory
Get that RAM instead

830$ with the parts I suggested, so 2$ or so less then your original build, and much better, especially at that resolution.
Until you get a monitor that provides higher resolution, you won't need anything more powerful. Even then, you won't really need anything more powerful.
I have a build worse then that, and a 24 inch monitor, and it runs everything I've thrown at it on high.

Good luck!

Thanks, I can set my resolution to 1280X1024 but everything is shrunk and it's hard for me to read. So I never bothered to try to fix it. Is it always like that or could it be changed?

Also I was originally going to go with that mobo+cpu actually. Then I read that almost nothing is optimized right now for 4 core cpus. Unless you do 3d modeling or use CAD programs the 4rth core is almost never used. Figured I could save some money with the X3, there's also the possibility of unlocking the 4th core, which knowing my luck wouldn't happen but people have had success.

Although the 4th core makes it more future proof and comes with a much better mobo so its about even.

Edit: Decided to go with a cheaper case, but this one has one less fan. Should I buy a cpu cooler and some paste?

For 1K you could probably go with i7 build if your interested. Something like this.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

http:///www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138135

I'll leave it to the rest of the people to figure out the rest, just wanted to suggest it.

Also I like this PSU.
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies
Running my OCed i7 fine.

Definitely not an expert like the rest of these guys so wait for them.:D

Yeah for 1k american though, and the AMD Deneb is 3.0ghz for less than the Nehalem which is 2.66ghz. Also if I recall correctly from reading somewhere that AMD CPU's operate differently than intels so their clock speeds can not be accurately compared.

IMO Intels are like a brand new off the die 2010 quarter, while AMD's are 2009's; exactly the same, just one is slightly shinier. I guess if you have money (which I don't unfortuantly) go with intel all the way, but for budget, bang for your buck, AMD seems better.

I loved tenebaum's changes though, never thought about resolution much before.

His from Canada so an i7 build is out of his price range. Not to mention the 13%+ sales tax, shipping, and 2 weeks waiting period for shipping. Yet newegg still offers the best deals : /

Yeah :( So my $808 dollar build ends up costing $964. 49.28$ for shipping and 106$ tax, price we pay for healthcare I guess...

Is there actually a 2 week wait? Cause that sucks...

the reason your res looks so cramped is because your not used to it, but thats how all of us view our res, you wouldn't catch any us using a low res for normal use, you will probably get used to it if your want to use that res. Games will look alot better.

Ok so if I move up to the 1280X1024 will that sapphire still be enough? Or would I do better with the GTX 260?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom