4870 1G freezing up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antec-User

Papa Chester
I was playing Crysis Warhead last night and this is the third time my card has locked up on me.

I dialed the graphics settings down to Gamer Spec and it still did it.. The card wasn't overheating, as far as I know.. the HW Monitor was showing about 43* during the scenes. But when the action gets hectic and heavy, the card freezes up.. It did twice last night..

Is this a Crysis thing? I also noticed heavy RAM usage. (73% of 8g 1066 @ 2.17v)

^ wow.. that was fast..

I've ran Crysis Warhead on Max settings on everything for longer, before I OC'd it. Could this be a NB/PCI setting issue?

I've never had this thing lock up on me as much before as it has recently.. You figure with the Newer Crytek engine and the decent GPU, it wouldn't give me as much of a problem.

Settings (IIRC) are 16.50x Mult, VCore on Auto, FSB 220, DDR 2.17v.. I know there's more, but that's all I can remember right now.

I'll try that, and I'm gonna mess with the HT Link Speed, and PCIE settings in the BIOS.

-EDIT-

I was playing for like 5 min and it locked up on me again.. I'm downloading the driver formt he Powercolor site... I got one off the ATI site, but all it said it was is a Generic 4800 Series.

Maybe you guys can get something from this. At idle.. Obviously. Disregard the fan speed.

gpuz1v.jpg

gpuz2.jpg

well, those temps are good. but it sounds like your cpu/ ram might need a little more voltage to be stable at a high overclock.

and it's best to get drivers for a ATI video card from the ATI website. same for a nvidia card, best to get from nvidias site.

The funny thing is, the ATI drivers I got from their site were a generic '4800 Series".. I went to Powercolor's site and they had a specific driver for the HD4870. I'm gonna mess with it today...

The OC is prime Stable, the card just doesn't seem to like me anymore... "Oh for god's sake! no more Crysis!" It's on Strike.. lol

Catalyst 9.5 is the driver you should be running with your card. Yes, it lists the 4800's as generic 4800 (except for the 4890), but they all use the same driver.

^ I've got it downloaded, I just haven't messed with it yet.. Thanx for the info..

I'll post up when I mess with it again.. Maybe tonight..

-EDIT-
I installed the Powercolor driver, played fro about 10 min and it locked up.. Went into the BIOS on the restart and stepped up the PCIE freq.. that gave me an extra 2 hours.. A LOT better than it was, but it still froze up.. The Mem temp on the GPUz says it was @ 51*..

BUMP..

I returned a bunch of the NB and other MISC Settings to Auto and I'm running off the basic Mult and Voltage increase now. The card runs fine now.. Just beat COD W@W (I know I'm a little behind, Got tired of the cracked game so I bought it)

So basically it was one of my BIOS Settings that was freezing it up. Ideas?

I had before: (AMI BIOS.. Running @ 3.64g)
CPU Mult @ 17.50
FSB @ 215
NB Freq @ 102
NB mult @ 11.00x
HT Link Speed @ 1.2G

CPU Volt @ 1.475v
CPU/NB Volt @ AUTO
CPU VDDA Volt @ AUTO
DRAM Volt @ 2.17 (works, set for the sticks)
HT Volt @ 1.30v
NB Voltage @ 1.20
NB 1.8v @ AUTO
SB Volt @ AUTO

CPU Spread Spectrum @ Enabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum @ Enabled

What should I have done differently to get this to play games reliably when overclocked to around 3.6 or 3.7??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom