Two questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModerNietz

Baseband Member
I have two questions:

1.After installing hotmail MSN,yahoo MSN,icq,I find they automatically run when starting computer,which I don't like.Maybe I can solve the problem with software,but I want to know how to do it using regedit.Anyone can help me?

2.There are two operating systems in my computer,how can I "delete"(Sorry,I don't know a better word) one without simply formatting the disc?

Thanks in advance.

ModerNietz

For issue 1:

If you open up regedit and navigate to the following locations, you will see a list of the processes that are slated with a startup status.

Be VERY carefull, deleting certain registry entries can render your OS useless. What you can do is look at the list of entries in both locations listed below and decided what services don't need to be there. Such as "msmsgs" which is the MS Messenger, Qtime (Quick time) etc. Again... BE VERY CAREFULL

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run

and

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run

HKCU = HKey_Current_User
HKLM = HKey_Local_Machine

Issue 2:

How do you know that you have 2 OS's installed, are you getting some sort of message when you boot up? Also, what OS are you running.

This should work, and is a lot easier than getting into the registry. Hit START, RUN, type MSCONFIG, click STARTUP, then uncheck anything you don't want to run on startup.

Those programs (messenger etc...) have a tab under options or tools or general etc... where you can select/unselect 'run automatically on windows startup'. Make sure it is off.

For issue 1:

If you open up regedit and navigate to the following locations, you will see a list of the processes that are slated with a startup status.

Be VERY carefull, deleting certain registry entries can render your OS useless. What you can do is look at the list of entries in both locations listed below and decided what services don't need to be there. Such as "msmsgs" which is the MS Messenger, Qtime (Quick time) etc. Again... BE VERY CAREFULL

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run

and

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run

HKCU = HKey_Current_User
HKLM = HKey_Local_Machine
Thanks,it works!

This should work, and is a lot easier than getting into the registry. Hit START, RUN, type MSCONFIG, click STARTUP, then uncheck anything you don't want to run on startup.
Thank you.But when I type msconfig,I was informed cannot find file.

Issue 2:

How do you know that you have 2 OS's installed, are you getting some sort of message when you boot up? Also, what OS are you running.

My original operating system is Win2000,I once intendedly install another operating system to test something,which is Chinese Win2000.And now I want to delete it because every time I boot up,there is a "choice" message,I have to wait and choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom