Computer is very slow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizmo90

In Runtime
Guys my computer has slowed down dramitically since last month. I think ther ar too many "cookies"on it. if thats not the reason why its slowing down then i dont no wat it is. could u guys please
help me. will it hurt the computer if ya delete da cookies. tell me the pros and cons of deleting cookies. Thanx for ANY help that u can giv me.
GIZmo90

There is no harm in deleting the cookies. All cookies do is keep track of websites you've been to so your personal settings will be restored next time you visit the site. For instance, this site TF, sets up a cookie that automatically logs you in (if you are a member) when you visit the site so you don't have to log in everytime.

Try using webroot window washer, it deletes cookies, temp files and such. It also has an option so you can tell it what cookies to keep.

You can delete cookies and files like beedubaya said and files through the internet options in your control panel or through the tool tab in your web browser. You can also defragment your disk under program-accessories-system tools. You should scan your computer for adwares (do a google search for adaware), trojan and viruses (make sure your definitions are up to date). You may also have too many programs running in the background using up too much system resources. If you are running XP, you can check the memory and cpu usage, program runnings etc... by hitting ctl-alt-del wich will take you to the windows task manager. If your HDD is full and you don't have enough physical memory, you may also experience some slow down. Try and clean up your drives of unwanted programs (through the add/remove program under control panel) and unused files. Start with this and come back to us if the program persists (with your computer specs).

cookies won't slow you down unless you eat too many of them!
Your machine is fast so I would say something is slowing down the software that runs your machine. Now what do you think that would be?

every so often it is good to do some nessecary computer maintenece:
1.Update adware remover and do a full scan
2. likewise for virus scanner
3. run disk cleanup
4. delete cookies and temp files
5. defrag HDD, not with crappy windows defrag but with eg, norton defrag bundled with systemworks.
6. delete unused programs
7. re installing the os, not the most efficient way of speeding up computer that the os has polluted itself in oblivion for the last 5 years.
8. Update drives, and run win update

How many icons are in your right side taskbar.Every one of those are programs running in the background.Right click them and see what they are.You only need the important ones running,virus scanne firewall and such and find out how to shut the others down.If that is your problem.Also get spybot spyware remover and run it .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom