Computer will not turn on. please assist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rgortiz3

Solid State Member
Ok. So, I recently pulled a not so intelligent move. I have been studying computers for about two years on my own, in my spare time. I have a good deal of knowledge about them now, but the thought came to me --->," What does the CPU look like?". So, me being as bright as I am:nerd: I lifted up two (one on each side) levers which held down the processor (layered= Processor, Metal prong towers thing (I would love to know what this is for), fan) and took the contraption out of the socket. After a few "ooows" and "aaawwws" I pluged it back in, snapped the levers back down, and plugged in my computer once again. What do I get? My computer will not POST, no sound activity comes out of the tower what so ever. A Orange light on the front of the computer (where I push the power button) indicates a problem. This light used to be green. I opened up the case, and I can hold down a button on the PSU and it runs power through all the circuitry, and then I hear everything booting just fine. I can hear the normal "beep beep" when my computer boots, and the lights inside the tower come on, and also the fans start spinning. No visual output is being made. Can anybody please give me some ideas on what might have happend, and how to fix it?

1. the Metal prong tower thing is called a heatsink, it is to draw heat away from the processor (to prevent it overheating and frying)

2. You'll want to check you put the cpu back correctly. Make sure you didn't get any dust/dirt etc. in the socket or on the cpu. Also, when you put it back, make sure the heatsink is firmly attached again. You shouldn't really be able to move it at all.

If that doesn't fix your problem, then you might have fried your processor.

For future reference, make sure you DON'T touch the pins on the processor, DON'T touch the processor without grounding yourself first (by touching an exposed piece of metal, such as the inside of the pc case) and ALWAYS make sure you unplug the computer before working on it.

Ok. Thank you. I must have fried it, because I never did ground myself when I did take it out, 3 tiny little pins broke off because I put it in upside down, which threw off the configuration lining up, and their is a black piece of dust on one of the pins. I appreciate the help.

Hahaha. Once again, Me messing with computers. I just messed up my spare computer which I used to type that original thread. I changed my video card settings to 85HZ and my monitor is only 60HZ. Now I get no connection to the monitor, the computer works just fine, just cannot get a display, ergo I cannot change the broken display :p. Aint I clever?

Just for future reference, can you take out the CPU and when you replace it, everything should work just as before? no settings, or any necessary re installation of anything: need to be fixed?

yes, you can. Don't try and force the cpu back in, it should fit very easily. It will only fit one way, so take a look at the pins before trying to put it in, make sure they're lining up right.

With changing your monitor, in windows there's a little tick box underneath which says something like 'only show modes my monitor can display'. You should always leave that ticked, that way you won't get into situations like the one you're in now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom