Computer Will Not Power On

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipique

In Runtime
First off, I am an experienced system builder. Typically if a system doesn't boot, at least it will do some pre-POST sounds and lights. This time, I may as well not even have the thing plugged in.

Here's the config: E7400, ASROCK G43TWINS Mobo, TR2-430W PSU, G-Skill DDR2-1066 RAM (2x2gb). That's all that's hooked up right now, and I don't get lights or anything.

I was thinking bad PSU, but I plugged it into another computer and it turned on just fine. I thought bad power switch and I tried shorting the power pins, but still got nothing.

I even tried removed the battery and setting it to clear the CMOS even though without the mobo powering up I don't see that making a difference.

I'm baffled. Is my mobo DOA? Is there some way I could have moronically connected something wrong to result in this? I'm sure the 24-pin power connector is on right (God knows I checked it plenty of times), the northbridge 4-pin power is also connected, and I tried it without one, the other, or both with identical problems (although either should allow the PSU to at least fire up its fans).

Ideas?

Dan

Try with only 1 stick of RAM. Try in a different slot, etc. Try removing all of the RAM and then try booting as well; you should get a POST error that there's no RAM. Then try individual sticks.

bad mobo would be my guess... I can't think of much else it could be... all you really need to fire up a mobo is a psu mobo and pwr switch. *which you of course know*. yeah, dead mobo

Ah, oops, missed that it wouldn't even turn it on. Was multitasking while reading the post :laughing:.

If it doesn't power up at all, I'd have to agree that it's a bad mobo.

Thanks, guys. That's what I figured it was, but I wanted to check before I went through the hassle of sending it in.

Dan

It's very possible it is not the PSU or the motherboard as I have had a mysterious event with my PCs. I built 2 around 5 years ago and suddenly no post, blank screen on the one I use for the net. I stuffed around for a couple of days checking everything before finally removing the AGP card, it then booted into XP no problem, strange since it had been in since I built the machine. Thinking something had gone wrong with that AGP, I removed the AGP from the other machine and installed it, no post, blank screen. I have no explanation why this is happened, that said, you can bet the AGP cards are not the problem. I am presently using the onboard graphics, no problems outside of being a little slower. Think twice before buying another motherboard as you or someone may come up with a solution .... eventually.

I very much doubt the motherboard is dead, it will more than likely turn out to be something simple as with my last mysterious event.

After 2 extremely frustrating days I almost gave it all away, persistence is what you need, keep at it.

It's very possible it is not the PSU or the motherboard as I have had a mysterious event with my PCs. I built 2 around 5 years ago and suddenly no post, blank screen on the one I use for the net. I stuffed around for a couple of days checking everything before finally removing the AGP card, it then booted into XP no problem, strange since it had been in since I built the machine. Thinking something had gone wrong with that AGP, I removed the AGP from the other machine and installed it, no post, blank screen. I have no explanation why this is happened, that said, you can bet the AGP cards are not the problem. I am presently using the onboard graphics, no problems outside of being a little slower. Think twice before buying another motherboard as you or someone may come up with a solution .... eventually.

I very much doubt the motherboard is dead, it will more than likely turn out to be something simple as with my last mysterious event.

After 2 extremely frustrating days I almost gave it all away, persistence is what you need, keep at it.

I already sent in the motherboard. I'll let everyone know if that was the problem.

I've tried with onboard graphics, so that's not the issue. Even so, I have a nagging worry that I just did something stupid. I guess we'll find out.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I have been having a similar, but not quite the same problem as you. My new build won't turn on either, but I have found when I disconnect the PCIe 6 pin it will power on (seems to be booting correctly, but I don't have on board video to know for sure, but when it is plugged in I have nothing at all. I have mine narrowed down to the Mobo or GPU (already replaced the old PSU from my previous build with a new 700w). Still not sure as I have nothing to swap the GPU into and I don't have another PCIe card to test in the new build.

So to make a long story short my understanding is a faulty GPU may be able to keep you system from booting as well. I guess it is too late to test that theory as you have RMA'd the Mobo, but it is something to keep in mind.

PS I don't want to hijack your thread so if anyone has any thoughts on my problem that really do not pertain to your issue I do have a separate thread below

Hi Dan,

I have been having a similar, but not quite the same problem as you. My new build won't turn on either, but I have found when I disconnect the PCIe 6 pin it will power on (seems to be booting correctly, but I don't have on board video to know for sure, but when it is plugged in I have nothing at all. I have mine narrowed down to the Mobo or GPU (already replaced the old PSU from my previous build with a new 700w). Still not sure as I have nothing to swap the GPU into and I don't have another PCIe card to test in the new build.

So to make a long story short my understanding is a faulty GPU may be able to keep you system from booting as well. I guess it is too late to test that theory as you have RMA'd the Mobo, but it is something to keep in mind.

PS I don't want to hijack your thread so if anyone has any thoughts on my problem that really do not pertain to your issue I do have a separate thread below

As I mentioned, I already tried using the on-board graphics without success. I went beyond minimal build--I tried nothing but PSU and Mobo which should result in spinning fans and a single beep. I didn't even get that. I test the CPU and RAM in another computer and they tested fine.

So if it's not the mobo then I need to go to school about this or something, because I just ran out of things that could be bad.

Dan

Good luck Dan...

Sorry I missed the part where you said about trying the onboard graphics. That'll teach me to watch the tube and post at the same time.

I RMA'd my GPU today as well so hopefully both of will have good luck. To me this is the worst feeling when a new build won't even power up. Pretty hard to trouble shoot.

Keep us posted and let us know how you do. I'll have to send back the Mobo/CPU (combo deal guess I'll have to return both) next I guess if the GPU isn't the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom