Links to great tips/programs for increasing laptop performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randomguy

Beta member
Hi guys & gals,

I'm looking for links to or a helping hand with regards to increasing laptop performance; including but not exclusive to CPU and RAM.

I play Online games and I just don't think my laptop is performing up to its specifications (long loading screen times & excessive lag(imo) in certain situations.) I could be wrong and my laptop is poor - if so tell me.

I'm fully conversant with the 'usual' measures such as Defrag/Cleaner/AV & Spyware ways, and I have done the usual laptoppy stuff such as selecting High perfomance for my laptop.

I'm trying to be detailed as I'm hoping there is stuff out there, whether it be programs and/or advice that I have yet to find on Google.

I've just downloaded RAMBooster literally minutes ago so I've yet to put that to the test and see if it's any good.

I'll stick my specs down just incase:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8300 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 2558MB RAM - it's 4GB but I'm an idiot and selected 32bit Vista for reasons still beyond my comprehension
Graphics: GeForce 8800M GTX
HDD: 250GB @ 7200rpm

So to reiterate is my laptop needing an upgrade and if not anyone got any ideas as to why 'I' think it is underperforming.

Thankyou in advance

Just FYI it has nothing to do ISP / Internet connection as it's the same whether I'm at home using my Virgin 20meg pipe or at work using a 1meg broadband connection.

Don't quite see why it would need an upgrade, those specs are pretty good for a laptop. Should run Vista + programs great.

The only thing I can think, if you've done defrag/cleaner/etc., is that there's something up with the hard drive to cause lags, but I'm doubtful that's the problem; you could always run a chkdsk to see if there are any bad sectors to see if it is a problem. Another possibility is that there's something up with the Vista install, of which formatting would solve, but again I'm doubtful (dual-booting with another OS would test that).

one of the best things you can do is reinstall your OS, because prebuilt computers and laprops come bloated with so much crapware it's not even funny.

I'll give Chkdsk a whirl right now thankyou Yamikotai as that is one thing that I have not carried out.

You are right Vista runs with no problems (speed or otherwise) at all.

But I just 'know' (more like feel) that it should be performing better when playing online games.

All was fine with no errors reported by Chkdsk.

My OS is OEM.

Ref bloatware I've just downloaded PC-Crapifier but to be honest apart from the programs I've installed myself (ie recognise) I really havn't got a clue if I'm gonna 'hurt' my PC by uninstalling things that I don't recognise or know whether they are critical to the PC operating correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom