TaskTool

In Runtime
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 Ghz

2Gb Kingston DDR2 Ram 600 something Mhz

160 GB Hard Drive (USED)

Random Brand Optical Drive, CD/DVD/RW

Intel DG31PR Motherboard

XFX Nvidia Geforce 9600 GSO 768MB

XION Solaris ATX/Micro ATX Case w/ 450 Watt Power Supply.

Immediately after we installed windows xp, on the used hard drive, once we booted it up, it asked us which operating system we wanted to boot. And it gave us two choices, Windows XP Home Edition, and Windows XP Home Edition. So we just hit enter.

Once we were in and installing drivers for everything, the computer kept getting caught up, and randomly got stuck at times, something I wouldn't expect from this.. unless I am expecting too much?

It boots up fast, but it always asks me to boot up windows xp home edition.. How do I stop it from asking me, and make it do it automatically, so that it boots faster? Its such a pain..

Anyone else know why it is sort of slow?
_
I just logged into steam and played a few games.. all at which played amazingly fast, with no noticable lag. Half Life 2 Episode 1, Bioshock demo, watchmen the end is nigh demo.

I am very impressed.. or more so amazed at the performance of this computer.. I am so glad I invested in this very cheap build. But I still am having problems with slowdowns when I am not playing games, and I still have the boot issue. Any ideas?

I'm very sorry about my previous attempt at posting this, and it will not happen again.

I would say maybe a corrupt OS install. And slow RAM. May I ask why you picked up such slow RAM? Fast RAM is so cheap there is no use to get anything less than 800mhz. Oh yea, and the motherboard is kind of low-endish.

Anyway: I'd do a OS re-install. Maybe add more RAM

but it is odd it doesn't do it in games (more demanding than just installing drivers)

It almost seems like you have two installs of xp on that disk.

Is this possible?

When it gives you the choice of which os to load that usually means multiple installs.

Since it is brand new I would format and reisnstall.

Did you partition your HDD? I thought you couldn't install a OS on a HDD over 150GB? Sounds like you have two OS installed too, like mentioned above

i think what he didnt do is format the HDD during install. try a fresh install. format the hdd.

and yes you can install a OS on a drive bigger than 150GB.m

and i believe it is possible to have 2 OS'es on the same partition.

I formatted the hard drive, well actually I did not do it myself, but when I was in the other room my brother did it.

When I came back it was formatting. And I actually saw him delete all of the partitions and then there was just 1 chunk of unused disk space* It was taking a long time to format and I asked him why, and he said it was because he wasnt doing the "quick" format.

160 GB is pretty small for a hard drive. One that size must be pretty old. How much cache does it have, and how many rpm's does it get? Do you load up maps and stuff slower than other people when playing games? The HDD wouldn't cause any performance hit in games except making them load stuff up slow if it was crap. However, it would cause your system to boot up very slowly, and loading other applications would be slow as well.

I've seen 2 exact options with only 1 actual os.

You goto:
Right click 'My Computer' - properties - Advanced - 'Startup and Recovery' -
Settings ...

And edit it there........ Doble check though, all your space is accounted for.,

I've seen 2 exact options with only 1 actual os.

You goto:
Right click 'My Computer' - properties - Advanced - 'Startup and Recovery' -
Settings ...

And edit it there........ Doble check though, all your space is accounted for.,

Thank you so much, with those instructions I fixed it. But some of my hard drive space is not accounted for.

It's a 160gb hard drive, and when I hover the mouse over the c: drive it says "total size 149gb"

I just played the Crysis demo, and whatever the default graphics settings were, made it run at full speed, with absolutely no lag at all.

I did notice anti aliasing was turned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom