should I get this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a DIRTY baqqer

Solid State Member
Hi, I am looking at a Sony Vaio on newegg. I just want to know if it is good enough for what I want to do and whether or not it is overpriced. I want a computer for school mostly, but also to play games some on the weekends. I looked at Sony.com and the FW is way more expensive so Im not sure if this one is last years model, which is fine, because it has almost everything I want. The biggest downside I see right now is the graphics card, but it is decent.

Newegg.com - SONY VAIO AW Series VGN-AW290JAH NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T9550(2.66GHz) 18.4" 4GB Memory DDR2 800 320GB HDD 7200rpm Dual layer DVD Burner NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT - Laptops / Notebooks

if you do, burn off your recovery media immedately and keep them somewhere safe. Sony does not post up drivers for their notebooks on their website.

18" display is rather big. I would not want to be lugging that around.

I can see what you are getting at with the video card. The 9600MGT is starting to get a little dated because other manufacturers have moved on to ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4000 series card.
Personally i would be going for one of these
Newegg.com - MSI GT725-212US NoteBook Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000(2.00GHz) 17.0" Wide UXGA 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 7200rpm BD Combo ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850 - Laptops / Notebooks

Okay, the $100 more. The secreen is only 17" However the you are getting BluRay/DVDRW combo. And you are getting a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850

Otherwise, there is the
Newegg.com - MSI GT725-074US NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8600(2.40GHz) 17.0" Wide SXGA+ 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850 - Laptops / Notebooks

Check out http://www.techist.com/forums/f84/laptop-graphics-cards-ranking-list-165525/ and you will see that you are getting a Class 1 Graphic Card as appose to a Class 2 Med Range Graphic Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom