New core i7 build, all opinions welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
The platinum is actually cheaper than the gold after rebate.

Anyone have any comments on those two water coolers.

I don't want to go to cheap on the cooler.

How powerful of a pump and radiator will i need to cool the cpu under moderately heavy overclocking

The first kit has a VGA and a chipset cooler as well, so I dunno if I'd recommend that for a first time water cooler. You can always get a decent kit and add to it later.

I don't really know much about Danger Den. I think they have decent budget products, aspire would be able to elaborate on that.

Does anyone have any hard data on how well air cooling competes against water.

i mean my case right now is kinda cramped and i have wires everywhere so that could be restricting the air flow and causing higher temps.

If it's only going to be a difference of a few degrees i don't want to bother.

IMO it really comes down to what you want to run your 24/7 clock speed at.
I do not run a very high 24/7 clock just because it is really not needed.
I run around 3.4 with a TRUE 120 and my temps are just fine.
Once you want to run around 3.8 or higher 24/7 then water cooling is a must.
At a guess from looking at i7 overclocking threads I would say water will drop you at least 5C on load from a high end air cooler.
You can definitely get some high clocks on air. Me and another guy on the forums can get to around 4.6 but not with acceptable 24/7 temps.
I would say that even with water the highest speed you could get stable and cool enough for 24/7 in around 4.2.

So the real question is what do you want to run your cpu at?
do you crunch or have the need for real high clocks?

The coolness (an I do not meant temps) is also something to consider. Water is really sweet looking IMO.

Well i plan to have this PC for ALONG time.

I've had a few custom builds before and i find i fail at future proofing.

I would like to have this PC for 5 years so when the i7 fades into black i'd like to be able to OC to crank another year out of it if needed. Another issue i have is with ambient temps. With temps in the high 30's i feel i really need water cooling in this climate.

Thanks for the input.

I would really appreciate anyone that could comment on the quality of danger den products and possible link me to a nice water cooling guide.

Thanks alot HEF

So helpful.

So alot of the information recommended swift tech so i might stick with the complete kit from ncix after all.

Is it possible to add on other blocks such as VGA and bridge blocks after the board is seated into the case or do i have to take it out?

So i had another thread going about a possible AMD phenom build.

After reading a ton of reviews of how they get out matched by even older intel quads i decided to ditch the water cooling setup and just get a nice i7 build with a nice heatsync.

Here is the final build i have.

CPU: NCIX.com - Buy Intel Core I7 920 D0 Stepping Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 -SLBEJ- - BX80601920 - D0 In Canada.
MB: NCIX.com - Buy ASUS P6T SE X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 LGA1366 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFire SATA2 Motherboard - P6T SE In Canada.
CASE: NCIX.com - Buy Cooler Master Haf 932 Full Tower Black EATX Case 6X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PSU USB eSATA 1394 Audio - RC-932-KKN1 In Canada.
GPU: NCIX.com - Buy XFX Radeon HD 4890 XT 1GB 875MHZ 1GB 3.9GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDTV Video Card - HD489AZDEC In Canada.
PSU: NCIX.com - Buy Corsair TX850W 850W CMPSU-850TX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX Active PFC 140M Fan Power Supply - CMPSU-850TX In Canada.
HD: NCIX.com - Buy Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 4.2MS 32MB 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM - WD1001FALS In Canada.
DVD: NCIX.com - Buy Samsung SH-S223F Black 22X DVD Writer SATA OEM - SH-S223F/BEBE In Canada.
RAM: NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Platinum OCZ3P1600LV6GK 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL 7-7-7-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit - OCZ3P1600LV6GK In Canada.
HS: NCIX.com - Buy Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme 1366RT Heatpipe Cooler LGA1366 120MM Fan FDB 1600RPM 28.0DBA 63.7CFM - U120E-1366-RT In Canada.

I'm gonna order tonight as i want to get rebates and sale prices on a few items. I'm pretty confident in my build except for maybe the ram.

All suggestions as always are welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom