Help me please....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derfburger

Solid State Member
Hi all it's me again...

Hope someone can help me out on this one. Here's the background.

I built a new PC no problem 2nd time doing this and all was well, booted up, installed OS, drivers etc, even got to game on World in conflict for 1 night. Next day left PC on went out of the room and came back 1 hour later and it was shutdown and I was unable to restart nothing, nada, zip... No fans, no beeps, just a whole lot of silence and that sinking feeling of "crap a brand new build that won't crank up at all"

I tried the old check each part 1 at a time etc... seemed the PC would now only boot when the 6 pin PCIe connector was unplugged or the GPU was removed entirely. Then it seemed to boot normally (I guess since I don't have onboard video, but it seemed to go through the motions). I had an old Ultra 500w PSU hooked up and I thought maybe it didn't have the juice to run the bigger GPU, so I ordered a new PSU and put it in today. Went to power up and bam...Same exact thing as before.

Do you think my GPU is faulty or could it be my Mobo? I have nothing to swap in so I have no way to check in that manner. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated as I need to RMA what ever part needs replaced before my 30 days are up.....

Thanks in advance.

CPU – Phenom II X3 720 B.E. 2.8GHz Triple Core Processor – Stock Cooling
MOBO – Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
MEM – Gskill 4GB DDR2 1066 (PC2-8500)
GPU – Sapphire 4850 1GB GDDR3 256bit
HD – Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB, 32MB Cache, SATAII
DVD – Lite-On 16X DVD burner – not SATA
Floppy – Yes
PSU – OCZ StealthXstream 700w w/Active PFC non modular
Case – ThermalTake – SViking w/front intake 120mm fan and rear exhaust 120mm fan, fan controller, and digital temperature display.
OS – Windows 7 64bit RC
Monitor – Acer 19” WS

reseat the gpu.

try it in another computer.

try another known working gpu in your computer.

If all of these fail except new gpu in your computer which should work then rma your card.

Thanks Hefemeister appreciate the ideas.

1. Yeah I reseated it about 4X lol and then removed it 2 or 3 times.

2. I wish I had a system to swap the GPU into but the one I am typing on is about 7 years old and would melt LOL with the 4850 in it (Plus I think it is AGP anyway).

3. I unfortunately dont have another GPU laying around my 2600 died a slow death which is what lead me to building this rig...

Is is a pretty good chance it's the GPU? If so I guess I'll just RMA it and hope that's it.

If that doesn't work I guess then it must be the Mobo?

If you have other pci-e x16 slots on your board you could try it in that one.

make sure, as I am sure you have, that the pci-e power plugs are inserted correctly.

Yeah I checked the pci-e plug and the only way the rig will turn on is to pull the 6 pin out and then start it up. The HD, CPU (fan), case fans, temp gauge, fan controllers, DVD drive and Floppy drive all power on when the 6 pin pci plug is pulled.

I am thinking I may just RMA the dang Gfx card and see what happens...

One last time time before I RMA this dang GPU anybody get a feeling this may be a Mobo issue (or something else) or am I fairly safe in assuming this is a GPU issue and RMAing it. I know there is no way to be 100% sure without swapping other parts in (which I do not have). Just looking for a little reassurance :)

Without swapping parts it is tough to know for sure but the fact it fires up without the gpu is a pretty good sign.

Thanks again Hefe this build is giving me a lot of heartburn LOL. I wish I had better resources to test these theories out, but I agree firing up without the GPU is a good sign of a GPU defect and I need to RMA it just incase this doesn't fix it and I have to return the Mobo instead. I'll keep this checking this post and update it when I am able to get the new GPU in just to let anyone who maybe interested know what the result of the GPU swap is.

Thanks again

It is very possible it is not the GPU as I have a similar problem with my PCs. I built 2 around 5 years ago and suddenly no post, blank screen on the one I use for the net. I stuffed around with it for a couple of days before I finally removing the AGP card, it then booted into XP no problem. Thinking something had gone wrong with the AGP, I removed the AGP from the other machine and installed it, no post, blank screen. I have no explanation why this has happened, that said, you can bet the AGP cards are not the problem. So think twice before throwing your card away as someone may come up with a solution to our problem.

Thanks Blinky :) My only reason for needing the quick response is most of the equipment except for the case, DVD, and Floppy are all new purchases. I think it is narrowed down to the PCIe on the Mobo itself or the Graphics card (I don't think it would boot without the graphics card if the ram was bad - anybody feel free to correct me if my assumption is wrong here). I am definately not throwing anything away :). I bought this stuff through New Egg here in the US so I have a 30 day window to RMA through them (down to around 2 weeks now while I was waiting on the new PSU, but since that didn't fix it I need a plan B.) The 4850 1GB I am using has a separate PCIe 6 pin power connector and the system will fire up with that power disconnected so I am leaning towards the GPU being defective. I never even reached a decent burn-in period so I haven't even tried to OC anything yet, so I don't think I fried anything :)

I recently had the very same problem with an AGP card, card in=no post, blank screen. Almost drove me insane until I finally re-installed the OS with the card installed, no problems since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom