Few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proiare

Solid State Member
I've decided to build a new computer (Or at the very least upgrade my current setup). But i have a few questions.

I've been searching new egg for a while for good computer cases but i'd still like to ask the experts here what they think.

I'd like a case that has a side window, and room for a few fans (3 or 4?). Does anyone have any reccomendations? I'd like to stay in the $60- range for a case.

Another question i have is about mobos. Is there a certain mobo that is very specialized, that i should stay away from? (I plan to upgrade my computer bit by bit for a while) Meaning if i buy a certain mobo, i have alot of wiggle room to upgrade and i have alot of choices as to what to put in it.

Any help is appreciated!

Well, if your willing to go for a rebate, this Raidmax might fit your needs. It has 2 120's and 2 80's.

I plan to get this case, only because its a full tower and can fit my graphics card. It too has 2 120's and 2 80's, though the reviews all talk about the fans being loud.

Do note, however, that shipping will add around $15-$20 to the cost of the case.

How many fans do you guys think is enough?

After seeing many cases with a couple of 120mm fans, i cant get myself to think of buying anything without atleast 2 or 3 120mm fans.

Many cases with a clear window are either costly, ugly, or all have bad reviews.

I'd like to get some fans with LED's, but thats looking out of the question since it looks like im going to have to get a fan without the side window.

How many fans do you guys think is enough? I'm thinking a front 120mm intake, a rear 120mm exhaust, and a side 80mm-120mm fan if it has a window.

How many fans do you guys think is enough?

After seeing many cases with a couple of 120mm fans, i cant get myself to think of buying anything without atleast 2 or 3 120mm fans.

Many cases with a clear window are either costly, ugly, or all have bad reviews.

I'd like to get some fans with LED's, but thats looking out of the question since it looks like im going to have to get a fan without the side window.

How many fans do you guys think is enough? I'm thinking a front 120mm intake, a rear 120mm exhaust, and a side 80mm-120mm fan if it has a window.
Having many fans is really over rated, you only need 1 intake, 1 outake, and possibly a VGA side outake to cool you video cards if your using SLI. Otherwise with cheap cases especially the air will not flow properly and you wont even notice a difference by adding more fans. All you need is intake and outake my friend, these would be some nice cases in your range.
Newegg.com - NZXT Alpha Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Open Window - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite NV-334-KWN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW Black/Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

you could of course go the antec 300 route, which is also a great quality case.

Sorry for the double post but I'd like a few more questions answered.

How many watts is a good power supply? I currently have a measly 250w supply. I used SpeedFan to pump up my fans a bit and my computer restarted itself, so im looking into a new power supply. Also, are all power supplys the same? I mean, do some have wires that others dont?

--------

About unremovable motherboard trays. Would having a case that doesnt have a removable motherboard be a major problem? Keep in my mind this would be my first time even remotely upgrading my PC.

---------

About upgrades:
I have a prebuilt computer, its not custom.

I'm looking into upgrading my RAM also, but im a bit lost. How do i know what kind of PIN, DDR etc i should look for in a RAM? (This part is simply because i want to learn more about building computers). I used the Crucial System Scanner tool, and it told me the following.
-Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*
So now, i try to look for the same in G. Skill brand, and cant find it. Any suggestions i can get to help me out? (I'm not really looking to overclock right now).

*Nevermind, i think i found it. Correct me if im wrong please*
Speed: DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
Type : 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
---------

Do some motherboards give me more upgrade variety then others? My current motherboard is " HP - Compaq HP-Compaq Goldfish 3 Motherboard Motherboard ."

I have never heard of it and I'm sure many of you haven't either lol.

--------

New case:
I've decided on the case i want, but on my old case, i have an area where i can insder a Memory Stick /PRO, CompactFlash I\II, etc etc. Do all cases have this? Is this something i can remove from my old case and insert into my new case?

I honestly have never dealt with prebuilt pc products.

Your best bet would be to stick with the same brand compaq put in your board.

Well you could contact HP and get a list of compatible ram for your motherboard but kingston almost always works in every board. that is the right ram, although im not sure gskill will work, try look for a kingston set.

250w isnt alot at all, and that psu is probably poor quality, what components are in your pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom