Intel Core2 Duo VS Core2 Quad

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaskTool

In Runtime
The very last component of my new computer is the processor.

This is the final and last thing to complete my build.

I initially had about a 180 dollar budget, and I was going to buy an Intel Core2 Duo E8400
which runs at 3.0 ghz.

Now I have a budget of 270 dollars, and I am looking at quad cores.

I am looking for the best possible processor that can play my games at the best speed, combined with my 2gb of DDR2 ram, and my new XFX GeForce 9600GSO 768mb, and my Intel DG31PR Classic Series motherboard.

So in terms of performance which Core2 Quads can out perform the core 2 duo E8400 when it comes to games?

As I can see, even some of the slower core2 quads are still more expensive than the E8400, but does that mean that it will out perform it?

For games only the e8400 would be best.

For general computer usage and multitasking the quads would be best.

The only quads which might outperform the E8400/8500 in gaming are the Q9*** series. I'd still recommend an E8400/8500 though, they OC like crazy.

The only quads which might outperform the E8400/8500 in gaming are the Q9*** series. I'd still recommend an E8400/8500 though, they OC like crazy.

Problem is with a G31 board, he's not going to be doing much overclocking on it.

I recommend the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550(its a cent under your budget shipped haha):
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Get that, OC it to around 3.0ghz (which should be an easy feat even on a G31 board and call it a day)

Basically, most games out right now, like high clock speed, there are a FEW which are multi-core capable, but if you can get a Quad that overclocks to a reasonable Dual-Core's high clock speed, you're pretty good

170mhz is still pretty easy even on stock cooling... But are you sure you can't spend like $20 for another fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom