Win XP & RAM??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaundale

Baseband Member
Hi,
Been looking to get some new RAM to improe my PC2-5300 I currently have. BUT, have seen threads that say that having more than 4Gb of RAM in Win XP is useless, it can't read any more than 4GB. Is this right?

With the DDR2 RAM being so cheap I wanted to get 4Gb either:
OCZ 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Reaper Memory HPC Edition Dual Channel

or

Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 HyperX Memory CL5 2.2V

or Possibly,

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory

BUT, if Win XP struggles to read then would I not be better getting 2Gb?

Thanks,
Shaun.

you need a 64bit version of xp to use all 4 gigs,or more, if not youl use about 3. same for vista

you are able to take advantage of 3 gigs of ram by windows limitation. This is not to say you can't set up more page filing on your harddrive, which is also user define allowing however many more gigs you may need. Of course this PF will be a bit slower than your RAM speed. A valid option though.

The Windows XP Page File

agreed. with the current prices get 4gb even if you cannot use all of it. You do need to subtract your gpu memory from 3.5gb to get the actual amount you can use.

Unless you are doing some overclocking ddr2 800 would be plenty fast and save you some cash.

you are able to take advantage of 3 gigs of ram by windows limitation. This is not to say you can't set up more page filing on your harddrive, which is also user define allowing however many more gigs you may need. Of course this PF will be a bit slower than your RAM speed. A valid option though.

The Windows XP Page File

Its not a Windows limitation; its an architecture limitation of 32bit.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/difference-between-32-bit-x86-64-bit-x64-171390/#post1349279

Just Bought This one:
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 HyperX Memory CL5 2.2V

Let you know how it goes. Just found out that my 32 Bit XP Hme won't see 4GB but IF, I go to Vista will that work.

Found these two:
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic -SP1- Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic -SP1- Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 32-bit - English

NOT much differance in price so I take it it's better to go with the First 64Bit one. Or pay an extra £20 to get,

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English

Thoughts would be great thankyou.
Have Lots of Flight sim stuff that only works on XP though. Don't want hassle of making work in Vista, so still debating weather to get it.....

Shaun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom