Radeon HD Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it normal for your GPU to 'underclock" when not in heavy use as well with the i7 rigs? with GPU-z I notice it at 900Mhz, then 250Mhz then back to 900 whenever I browse pages and stuff.

Should I get the ATI Catalystâ„¢ 9.5 Suite or just the ATI Catalystâ„¢ 9.5 Components ?? They went and got me all confused.

is it normal for your GPU to 'underclock" when not in heavy use as well with the i7 rigs? with GPU-z I notice it at 900Mhz, then 250Mhz then back to 900 whenever I browse pages and stuff.

Should I get the ATI Catalystâ„¢ 9.5 Suite or just the ATI Catalystâ„¢ 9.5 Components ?? They went and got me all confused.

yes, its normal for the gpu to underclock, this saves power. its kind of like speedstep in a way.

if your going to use CCC get the suite, if not, just get the driver itself (stand alone download)

yep, all of the cool new cards do it to save power. i.e. GT200 and 48XX.

I got the one with "everything" CCC and all that.. but I don't know how happy I will be when I see what programs run in the background... I hate clutter.... and that includes programs that don't help me all the time when they are active.

So I went in an cranked everything to Quality then enabled Triple Buffering - do you think things should be fine?

*EDIT*

Things are not fine...

In the sims 3 my hair is transparent, and.. the gameplay stutters now, and exiting the game makes the Gamma VERY high ><

Edit2

I set my monitor to default contrast/brightness to help standardize my results (and omg I forgot how bright this thing is!) And found out it is "Adaptive AA" that is causing the hair transparency and such -

What do you recommend now? Using CCC to have everything cranked, besides AdaptiveAA or just set it where the application decides and crank it in each game?

My moni is bright.. I played Fallout3 and went to Operation Anchorage (A DLC that is training based in Anchorage Alaska) and I went snow blind in real life >.< Gotta find a way to turn down the brightness without hindering my image quality

*Edit 3*

My conclusion - until someone can tell me otherwise.. I am going to set CCC to defaults and just crank the heck outta each Game's Options menu, cuz to me it seems (but may be completely false) that the Options on each game would provide the "Best Possible Visual" when cranked to the Highest settings for that game.. and the use of CCC to set it to max seems to be giving me lots of problems.

rightly or wrongly I always set everything to application controlled unless I have a specific issue I want to sidestep. You can go the other way and have everything setup in profiles (on nvidian cards anyway) on your GPU but that seems like a lot of work to me and maybe a bit pointless.
But just maxing everything on the card will give you problems, this is a PC after all, the games aren't developed with your specific graphics hardware in mind, letting your graphics card dictate max settings is going to give you a mixed bag of results.
The simplest solution is as I say, use application controlled.

wow, i have never had any kind of problems like this. do ATI's drivers really suck this bad?

If you're refering to my comments then no, not at all, I was giving advice from my 8 years or so experiance running Nvidian graphics cards across hundreds of games, the HD4890 I have in my sig is the first ATI card i've had and that only for a few weeks.

My 4870 was running very hot before I put a liquid block on it.. That brand is the GPU? I hear Diamonds run hot. (NVM, it's in your sig.)

Get Riva Tuner to turn the fans up, first things first.

CPUID Hardware Monitor also works for temp monitoring. Mine still locks up from time to time.

What case do you have Gothch1ck? and how many fans? I notice our systems are fairly similar. I've had no problems in Fallout 3 for example (or far Cry 2), though I don't play the sims.

First I would check the basics:
Does your mobo need the bios flashing to support your processor? have you done that?
Have you stress tested your CPU with prime 95 and your memory with memtest86?
Have you installed up to date motherboard and graphics drivers?
Have you stress tested the GPU with something like rthdribl or furmark?
Do you get any blue screens or other errors?
Have you checked load and idle temps for both CPU and GPU?

900mhz isn't stock speed for the 4890 so I'm guessing the card is pre-oc'd, if you are getting artifacts try lowering the clock to stock (850Mhz) and 3.8Ghz memory, if that gets rid of the artifacts then send the card back.

Additionally I suppose windows 7 could be to blame, i'm running XP32 at the moment. I'm installing windows 7 in a couple of weeks so I can report back then if I'm experiencing any oddities.

As for your bright monitor, bear in mind that the recommended setting for an LCD is 120 cd/m2 which is likely to be a fraction of your monitors capacity (most monitors have a default of 300 - 500). depending on your monitor the correct setting is likely to be somewhere between 20% and 50% brightness so don't be afraid to turn it down.

Finally an echo of my first post, turning everything on/max in CCC is just asking for trouble IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom