PCI Express x16 power connector? Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaskTool

In Runtime
I was JUST about to buy the 9800 GT when I read that it required a pci express 6 pin power connector? What the **** is that?

Doesnt it come with everything you need to install it?

Does that mean that if my power supply doesnt have this thing, that I wont be able to use the card?

Can somebody explain what it is?

Also, another version of that card says that requires both a 6 pin connector AND an 8 pin connector?

HELP!

what psu do you have?

Most cards will come with an adapter for molex to 6pin pci-e power if yours does not have one.

The card that requires two is the GX2 which is a sandwich card with two gpu's.

The power supply I have is just a 450 Watt power supply that came with my XION Solaris ATX/micro ATX Case.

I bought the case at CompUsa, and it's black and green, and has 2 fans, one of them lights up green.

well 400watts is the remomended minimum for the 9800 gt so you should be ok there. Does your psu have a 6 pin pci-e connector?

pcie6.jpg

It is the one on the left.
If not what card are you looking at because it should come with an adapter like the one on the right.

If you look at the second picture it shows the cable.
As long as you have 2 open 4 pin moles plugs you should be fine as long as your psu provides 26amps on the 12v rail.

Oh, yeah I think I understand, yeah I should definitely be fine, I assumed this was more complicated than it is. Thanks.

what psu do you have?

Most cards will come with an adapter for molex to 6pin pci-e power if yours does not have one.

The card that requires two is the GX2 which is a sandwich card with two gpu's.

Actually, pretty much all of nVidias current line up requires at least two 6pin.

Actually, pretty much all of nVidias current line up requires at least two 6pin.

Correct but the OP was asking about the 9800 line specifically.

To my knowledge only the gx2 required more than one pci-e plug in that line.

Edit: the 9800 gtx+ does require 2 x 6pin pci-e as well. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom