HDD upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFCJohnSmith

In Runtime
I want to add extra HDD capacity to my pc but I think I may have a problem. The thing is my os is pre installed and I don't have a copy of it I only have a recovery disk. If I was to buy a hdd and pluged it in would it register or would my pc fail to work or just fail to recognise the new drive?

No, just plug it in, and format it via Disk Management.

Start > Right click Computer > Manage... > click DIsk Management on the left-panel > find your drive in the bottom half of the screen on the right side (will have a black strip, should have the capacity of the drive and say its RAW / unformatted). > Right click it > choose to format / create a partition. You can do a Quick Format if you wish.

So I have to create it as a separate disk i.e. a new partition on my pc so fo instance it will not be c drive it will be say g drive.

Yes, since it will be a completely new drive it won't have the same drive letter as another one. Each disk and/or partition has to have its own drive letter.

Like I said, you cannot have 2 drives or partitions with the same drive letter. THe only way you can do that, is it put it in some sort of RAID array, but then you need 2 drives of the same capacity/type to do it. Your C drive will be whatever you install your OS on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom