After reformat, cable modem not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhain

Solid State Member
Hello, I recently reformatted my parents' computer to get rid of a nasty rootkit that I couldn't seem to clean off otherwise. After installing XP Pro, it did not seem to recognize the cable modem/router setup I had going previously, i.e I plug the Ethernet from the router into the back, and nothing.

This is my first time reformatting a PC, and after fiddling with the Windows Network Setup and such wizards, had no luck. I have seen recommendation of using a CPUZ program to show information, I have attached a .jpeg with the computer's information on it.

It is an older Dell model, if that makes any difference.

Here is the .jpeg, if anyone can point out any downloads I need from the intel site or otherwise, it would be much appreciated.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7449/cpuzboard.jpg

Any other advice to get the internet up and running on the computer would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

Here's a link to the download page for that model:
Drivers & Downloads

You should need sound and chipset. Use Everest to find out what all you have onboard (LAN, graphics, etc) and Google for the drivers for them as the manufacturer will have newer drivers than Dell will.

So then I should get the Sound and Chipset drivers from the Dell driver download page you mentioned, and then go looking for others after using this Everest program?

I apologize for troubling you further, but would you be able to be more specific?

Is there anything I can post from Everest to help?

The easiest for you would be to get them all from Dell. these are the ones that Dell has tested with and approve for your computer.

While Trotter is correct in the fact that you could find newer drivers from the manufactures of specific components of your computer, If you make a mistake with which drivers you install it could cause some problems.

For a more experienced user to do what Trotter recommends is the correct way to do it.

For you the best would be to get them directly from Dell.

Thank you both for your help, I just have one more question.

Were I to use the Dell page to get my drivers, which ones should I download? Some of the categories (Network for example) have multiple drivers listed. However, I am not sure which drivers apply to my system, would the Everest program take care of that for me?

Also, which categories do I need the drivers from? Just Audio and Chipset? Since the computer wasn't detecting the cable modem, I imagine some Network drivers would be necessary too, though I am not sure. Which ones should I be going for?

With dell you can search via service tag which should be on a sticker on your computer.
Dell Drivers and Downloads
select search via service tag and they will know what components came with your machine.

I would install all the drivers they recommend for you but not worry about the utilities so much.

Check device manager as you go to make sure you have no unidentified devices left.

I downloaded and attempted to install from Dell the following Drivers:

- The one Chipset one listed
- The second Network one listed (Broadcom)
- The first audio one listed

The first two seemed to install, however the sound one encountered an error saying "Driver not found! Reboot your system and try this installation again"

In the Device Manager, there is still a yellow question mark next to "Ethernet Controller", "Multimedia Audio Controller", and "PCI Input Device".

Unfortunately, still no sound and nothing when I plug the Ethernet cable from the router in = /

run everest as Trotter suggested to get the exact information about the devices that cannot be installed.

Then look on Dells' site for the drivers related to the devices.

Everest's link is in Trotters post.

Apologies if I am grating on your nerves with my questions, I thank you for your continued help and patience.

It seemed like some of the devices identified by Everest aren't on the list of Dell drivers. For example, I am linking to a screenshot of the everest output for the Network adapter I believe is in my system, but I am not sure where to find a driver for it.

Network:http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6205/everestnetwork.jpg

As well, I believe there is one thing on the Dell list for my Audio, the second of the two listed (patch/upgrade for the SB Live). Will this fix it though, seeing as though it isn't a driver?

Audio: http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/6057/everestaudio.jpg

You have an add on ethernet card. No problem.

get the driver direct from intel. for some reason their website is down for downloads so I cannot find it for you at the moment.

install the origional sound blaster driver then install the patch. If that does not work go to sound blasters website and grab them directly.

It has been 10 years since I had a dell and things have changed at their website for sure.

Do not worry about the questions. We are here to help when we have time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom