Windows won't boot on my old PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, its a small jumper on the back of the drive near the IDE connection. Look on the lable on which pins to put the jumper on to set it to slave operation.

The new PC's OS was probably slow because something is wrong with the other drive and its trying to read it; hence why the new OS attempted a chkdsk on it.

Oh, ok.

So, should I just do it agian, and let it run and just wait regardless of it taking much longer?
Could this do any damage or screw up some settings of my new PC in any way?

If there is only one drive connected via IDE (all the others on my new PC are SATA), does the master-slave configuration matter?

It can matter sometimes, like if its trying to boot off of the new drive. But if you have your primary drive set to boot first in BIOS, it should be fine.

Thanks.

It did indeed boot form my new PCs OS, that's not the problem, and it recognized the new drive as drive F. But it just took so long which worried me a bit.
But I will do it again, and just wait until Windows is all up.

I finally managed to get the drive to be recognized by my new PC. I first set the jumper to slave (it had to be removed for that), but that way my new PC did not recognize the new drive. Then I set the jumper to an option called cable recognition. And now my PC recognizes the HDD with its 3 partitions. Only problem being I cannot access the C partition of it. I keep getting an error message. I can access the other two partitions, but not this one.
Does this mean I gotta forget about retrieving the stuff from that partion? Or could maybe a PC repair store help me still?

EDIT: now all of a sudden, I can access that partition, but not all of the folders. I get an access denied message. I tihnk that is due to admin settings, those folder were only accessiable for the administrator of my old PC. So, how can I access them on my new PC? Is this possible at all?

2nd EDIT: now trying again, I cannot access the partiton, error message says it's damaged and can't be acessed.
Weird I could access it for once.

Anybody have an idea what to do here?

Need to take ownership of the files. Pick whichever one is the os on the new computer. I cannot remember.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-take-ownership-files-vista-155100/

How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP

Thank you !

But what happened now is that all of a sudden (just as unexpectedly as I all of a sudden was able to access the C partiton of my old drive) I cannot access the drive anymore. The error message says it is damaged, and no access is possible:(
I was able to copy all files form the other two partitons, but the I could not copy partition conatining my Outlook Express adress book and e-mails....
I don't know if there is still a way of recovering that drive (I mean the data that's on it). So, I am thinking of bringing it to a repair store?
If I can't access the partitition becasue it's damaged, could a repair store somehow still help me?

You need to run a chkdsk /r /f on the drive. There are bad sectors and the drive is possibly failing.

Thanks !

chkdsk was one of the first tihngs I tried. The process took very long, and at the ned it said that there was at least one problem on the drive that could not be solved.:(

Then there is more bad sectors on that drive than can be recovered by Windows. ERD Commander or something much more powerful is going to be needed. Possibly SpinRite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom