Building Gaming Computer-Need people to check it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I undersold the card a little bit. I looked up some benchies and it performed better than I expected. Still, when someone says gaming rig, I guess I expect them to want one of the newer cards with alot of power (gtx260/4870 and up) but I guess each person has their own interpretation of a gaming build.

also, the PI blacks were a better choice, for amd having the CLK4 timings is better then faster ram.

True, but I suggested that for overclocking headroom. I suppose if he doesn't plan to overclock then his choice is better. Also, the PI blacks come in 1066 as well, if he wants the best of both worlds.

An 8800gt/9800gt is not really that fast of a card anymore, compared to the gts/x 260/275 and 80/85. To the OP you should really get a 4870 512 which should get you a bit more for your money. Also dont get vista ultimate, its just a waste stick with premium.

Comparitively no, it's not a fast card anymore. However, it will play almost all games on high or maxed settings depending on your resolution and the rest of your specs. By most games I mean, BF2, CoD4/5, Bioshock, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Left 4 Dead, CSS, WoW, GRiD, CoH, Brothers in Arms, etc etc. It won't play Crysis on max but really, who actually plays Crysis?

Now, I can't be arsed to look up the price of the 9800GT, but I know 4850's are quite cheap now and offer a bit more performance than the 9800GT's...so I would recommend that instead. Or, like you said, a 4870 will offer a fair amount more performance.

Hmm. All of this information is extremely helpful, but I'm not sure as to whether or not i wanna OC it. Odds are i probably will, so I will get the ram CrazeD mentioned, but I'm not the smartest when it comes to making a computer, so I don't know what would be the best thing to do for this computer. OC or Not, and are these all of the parts i will need? Because i know some of the pieces have other things built into them allowing them to do more than one thing, if that makes sense. (It did in my head :p )

Also, if you don't think Vista Premium is a good idea, what would be the best version of vista to get for my computer make up?
Please and thank you :)

Vista Home Premium is what you want if you want Vista. Vista Home Basic is similar but is lacking the things that make Vista distinct, such as Aero for example. And the more expensive ones have very minimal improvements, basically just propriety software that you can get anyway.

Oh, one more question. Would overclocking with my components be worth it or would it suck up to much power? I was looking into it and i can't decide. Odds are I won't, and I will try out games without OCing it and if its not as great as i want, then i can OC and see how that works out. But you all are the experts, which is why i'm asking you all. :D

Don't double post, use the edit button if you have something to add before somebody replies.

There is nothing wrong with Vista Ultimate except the price tag. The features you get with it, I can pretty much guarantee you won't use but you will pay a nice premium for them anyways. Vista Home Premium is all you need.

OC'ing is mostly done for fun. It will provide a performance boost, but usually not by a noticeable amount in games (always exceptions of course). Most people OC their processors for benchmarking to try and get the best times in SuperPi and stuff like that. It is fun and addicting. I say why not OC though, it is free performance after all.

Yeh its really quite easy and safe to overclock your CPU these days, and most often you can get around a nice 20-30% extra performance from it. As long as you dont push it too much it wont suck up too much extra power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom