How to store DVD's onto harddrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dav536

Baseband Member
I would like to use my pc to play all my dvds on my tv and would like to rid my living room of all the cases, so I thought I would set up a home center pc for movies and such. Are there any programs that can do this or is there something else I can do. I in no means want to copy them for sales just to clean up the house.

thanks,
Dave

Considering that a 2 hour movie takes up about 4 GB of disk space (not including any special features), it won't take long to fill up your hard drive. The time and effort that would be involved in copying them to your harddrive would hardly be worth it. It would take about 20-25 movies to fill up that 120GB harddrive. My guess is that you probably have 100+ movies, which would mean 4 or 5 120GB harddrives. Sony makes a 400-disc DVD changer for around $400, less than the cost of 5 120GB harddrives. That would probably make more sense, and help you lose the cases.

I acctually have 2 300g HD sitting on my desk for this purpose. I am going to automize my house and this is just one step. I thought of that but would like to have out of site. Thanks

Dave

If you make an image of the DVD you'll be able to save it for later veiwing. You can use DVD Decrypter to save the entire DVD, or use DVD Shrink to remove extras and/or menus.

I like your idea for one setup, but I assume you aren't using your TV as your monitor. Is your computer desk setup that close to your TV?

Thanks for the links guys.

Pantomime, well right now it is in the living room but will be moving to other end of house soon(or so the wife tells me) and will be looking into some kind of wireless or will have to run wire under the house. Either way another project for me todo:)

Thanks again,
Dave

Dav536,

Glad to see another person doing this. I have 430 or so DVD's ripped down to my system at home. Run MythTV to watch them on the HDTV and love it. It's one of the best things I have ever done.
My server has 1TB of storage for the ripps and then the re-encodes. I keep all of my DVDs in thier original cases in a storage closet which is now mostly full.
Good Luck to you. Hope it works for you as it has for me.

get dvd shrink, it shrinks it down to about 4gb and then use flask mpeg to encode in divx or xvid, takes a while but small on your hdd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom