Radeon HD Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
So, some little oddities have occurred during games.. and I am not really sure what the culprit is.

The Radeon HD 4890 is my GPU, the stock speed of 900Mhz/1GB version.

During game play sometimes weird things happen.. like all the sudden a texture that was clean and crisp now is black and "broken" - this happened during Fallout3 (collectors edition) with Games for Windows Live active, it only seems to happen when I press the "home" key to access G4WL menu however... so probably a G4WL error.

The Sims 3 (collectors as well) has random crashes (probably OS related however, or game itself, due to the insane amount of crash reports and error logs generated by this game on it's third day alive to the public) it also has some minor AA issues though.... but I let the program mess with AA -- - which brings me to my reason I am here.

A lot of people say Disable the CCC for ATI Cards, that it causes problems and all that.... and to just use the Video Driver itself. Still others say to set your GPU to "Performance" and not "Let the application decide" to get the best results...

So which is it? Do I crank out some 24X AA in the ATI controller and FORCE games to play in that? Or do I set each game manually to best settings?

Oh and... funny enough.. The Sims 3 on 1900x1080 doesn't look as good as 1024x768... so I get some AMAZING FPS on Sims 3 (Over 300 easy, one time over 1,500 LOL)

well is your card overheating? sounds like that could be the problem with the fallout issue. or is it overclocked?

i run the sims 3 all day long (well mostly my sister hogging my pc just for the sims :mad:) and never have a problem. i also force 4x AA and 16X AF through the nvidia control panel. so if it were me i would just force the AA through the control panel. that's pretty much what i do with every game. i dont like my games controlling the AA and AF.

I am not sure if it is overheating, I just held a little "room gauge" Thermometer up to the PSU exhaust and then to the GPU exhaust.. and a little shocked at the read outs...

Holding for 5+ minutes each - the PSU fan was expelling 100+ F- Air
the GPU was expelling 107+ F - Air

That seems pretty hot. I can't seem to find any way to get a program to monitor my GPU temps, but I have Real Temp for my CPU - it is "within acceptable ranges" for an i7 - despite the fact this case is very old (no front audio even) and crammed now with all this new tech (new case is on its way in a few weeks)

RealTemp reads that today (games runnin in background right now - played earlier) the Max temps it got wasn't even 70C (and I have seen it into the 70's )

The reason I am shocked/alarmed is 107F is only like.. what.. 42C ? if the Real Temp is reading 70C - and only 40C is being expelled, that means there's some heat trapped inside not being removed efficiently enough.

you can use everest to monitor GPU temps, that's what i use. and you can set it to display the temps on the screen while playing a game.

and those temps seem fine. for the ambient air.

During game play sometimes weird things happen.. like all the sudden a texture that was clean and crisp now is black and "broken" - this happened during Fallout3 (collectors edition) with Games for Windows Live active, it only seems to happen when I press the "home" key to access G4WL menu however... so probably a G4WL error.)

Try enabling Catalyst A.I. I have seen it fix similar texture issues in other games.

I actually currently don't have anything installed for drivers -I am running off of Windows 7 "basic" package - which of these should I use if I download?

Drivers & Tools | GAME.AMD.COM

I don't want a bunch of junk I won't use...unless I actually need it and don't realize it (space isn't an issue with 1 TB)

oh and a bit off topic - but i7 overclocking and stuff - I guess my CPU is a "c0/c1" series, is that going to effect too much of what I can do compared to the D0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom