Need Laptop experts! Im Buying new

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawaiian style

In Runtime
Im a desktop guy, anything laptop and its over my head.

I am looking to get a new laptop (like every other thread) for school and gaming (like every other thread).
My budget, a whopping $500-$700(MAYBE $800).

I previously bought a Lenovo craptop... cant run squat. Im returning it for a refund of about $430. so yeah.

Back to what I'm looking for,
- decent HDD space (200GB or so)
- decent monitor size (15in or so)
- moderate weight (6-7lbs, I will be going to Japan for school so being light is kind of semi-important)
- 2Gigs of ram or More (more would be nice, but its only a commodity)
- GOOD graphics card (this is where I lose it for laptops)

I want to be able to play fallout 3, or Oblivion, Or any of those other 3D heavy games. (it can be on LOWEST res. I dont care, I just want to play the game)

I was looking at Dells website, but everyone says Dell is gei... so I started looking at HPs website...but you cant choose what you want in your laptop like Dell... so I'm in a rut.

Can ANYONE be my guardian angle and help me out Please?
***I know I am asking a lot for so little but I am willing to exclude the weight if it helps? and monitor size?

I will waiting patiently/eagerly for ANY reply's to this matter.

Thank you ALL very very much.
(and Thank you mr.&mrs. creators of the website)

Any comments about this one? (again, I want to be able to play fallout 3 and/or any of those other 3D heavy games)

Newegg.com - MSI EX630-034US NoteBook AMD Turion X2 RM-70(2.00GHz) 16" Wide XGA 3GB Memory 250GB HDD DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS - Laptops / Notebooks

That one will play Fallout 3....not very well though....

It's going to be kind of tough to get what you're looking for in your budget. The most you can hope for is a midrange mobile card because the high end stuff gets expensive very fast (not to mention heavy, bulky, and bad battery life).

Newegg.com - MSI GX730-043US NoteBook AMD Turion X2 RM-70(2.00GHz) 17.0" Wide XGA+ 4GB Memory DDR2 800 320GB HDD DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 - Laptops / Notebooks
Newegg.com - ASUS F50SV-X1 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T6400(2.00GHz) 16" 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 120M - Laptops / Notebooks

These might be your best bets for running those games decently. They won't be on full but I think you could do med-high or at least medium smoothly on Oblivion and Fallout 3. Probably better if you get creative with the .ini files.

Thank you so much Jorsoft! I will try to pinch my $$$ to be able to get 1 of the 2 you suggested.

I have heard bad things from ASUS. Which is the better brand, MSI or ASUS?

I would say they're both good. I've had an MSI and it's cool, so have a few of our other long time members and experts here. So based on experience I suppose I would recommend MSI. The warranty appears to be better on the Asus, though, being 2 years and including accidental coverage during the first year which is darn rare for a notebook.

Either way, with your price the hd 3650 or the 9600m should be the mobile parts you are looking for -- they will handle your gaming wants in a laptop well enough. Also, I'm not sure how widespread the mobile hd 4 series is, but if you can find them in a laptop they are worth looking at as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom