24" monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCoffee

Fully Optimized
I just built the computer in my sig a couple of weeks ago but unfortunately the monitor malfunctioned after a few days, I RMA'd it and have a refund... So now I'm looking around and wondering what to replace it with, I want 24", 1920x1200, DVI, Matte screen and preferably a thin bezel but essentially it must be cheap! so TN's all round.
Thing is i'm struggling to find anything suitable, the samsung in my sig is the only one that i've come across that really meets my requirments - sure I could just get another one but to be frank, before it malfunctioned, I wasn't exactly blown away by it, its a beautiful chassis/stand but the panel is pretty weak, lots of backlight bleed and the vertical viewing angles were the worst i've ever seen on an LCD.

Any ideas? My budget caps out at £300 and i'm buying from the UK.

Edit: I've looked at the Dell E248wfp but i've read reviews saying it has the same exagerated viewing angle problems as the SM2443BW. Is this just a feature of TN panels at this size? or are they maybe just using the same panel...

not sure what it costs in the UK but I love my samsung TOC T240 monitor... got it for 270 USD on sale here...

not sure what it costs in the UK but I love my samsung TOC T240 monitor... got it for 270 USD on sale here...

you're talking about one of these?

Samsung T240 24" TFT Monitor 1920x1200 1000:1 300cd/m2 5ms DVI/HDMI Rose Black 3 Years Warranty - Ebuyer

how do you find the viewing angles? I've found several comments about the viewing angles being poor, i'm concerned it might be the same panel as the SM2443BW.

Looks interesting, I've not considered LG before, I'll definitely look into this one and see if I can find some reviews.

The trouble with large LCDs is that the user reviews always tend to be 5/5, with comments like "omg I upgraded from my 14" monochrome CRT and this is way better" which is pretty unhelpful, unfortunately it seems that 95% of people wouldn't know a good monitor if it kicked them in the nads.

I have the above monitor and I feel the viewing angles a quite nice on it. We use it a lot for watching movies and you can sit rather far to the side and still have a nice view.

I love my sammy 245T but I'm guessing that is out of your price range when you say cheap LCD. If you up your budget, thumbs up for the 245T if you find it on sale.

I have the above monitor and I feel the viewing angles a quite nice on it. We use it a lot for watching movies and you can sit rather far to the side and still have a nice view.

Hows the back light bleed?

With viewing angles its more vertical than horizontal i'm concerned about, and when I say viewing angles i'm referring to the shift in gamma, hue, contrast that happens across the screen as you move your head rather than from what angles you can actually see a picture, on the SM2443BW moving your head up or down a couple of inches had a dramatic effect on the contrast and gamma, even looking straight at it there was a noticeable difference from the top to the bottom of the screen, based purely on the difference in angle.

I love my sammy 245T but I'm guessing that is out of your price range when you say cheap LCD. If you up your budget, thumbs up for the 245T if you find it on sale.

Sadly more than double my budget :( not convinced i'd want a VA panel at that price though, i'm sure its a great monitor and colours and blacks must be sweet... but VA panels tend to ghost. At that price i'd be looking at a decent 26" IPS.

Yup, although I got mine a while back, significantly cheaper than what it sells for now, just over $400 CAN. I don't game, is great for my HD home video editing which is what I got it for....but haven't found anything I can't throw at it with spectacular results. No ghosting that I've found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom