Will this setup provide me with a good gaming computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyevilmuffin

Beta member
I've been looking to build a pretty cheap gaming computer (500-800) that will last me a good couple years playing games as they come out. Some games that I will be playing: Left 4 dead, warcraft 3, starcraft 2, possibly wow...stuff like that. I already have a mac so this computer will be used primarily for gaming. Any help much appreciated :)

HP 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black IDE Model HP 1140i - Retail

NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

HIS Hightech H485FN512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

PPA 1431v 6 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX - Retail

Oh and I'm not sure this is even everything i need to build a pc as this is my first time attempting to do this. I dont need a moniter/mouse/keyboard/speakers.

hello fellow muffin enthusiast,

your build appears to be good but youre missing a power supply.

you could probably ditch the sound card because unless you really need it for like music editing, you will hardly notice a difference.

Thanks Muffin!

For some reason I thought the sound card was needed, but I guess its not, eh? And about the power supply, any recommendations? I figured this would be sufficient:

Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V Power Supply - Retail

But again I don't know much about building computers :/

My build so far is $608 so if you think any of the components should be upgraded let me know cuz i may be willing to spend a tad more :D

that psu would not be enough because your gpu alone needs 450w plus a 75w 6-pin connector.

there are more qualified ppl here than me that would be happy to recommend a psu for you.

edit: you could pick up this combo that has ram with slightly better timings for $2 more along with a different hd 4850. you get 20$ off for buying the combo and if the rebates go through, you get $35 back which you could put towards other hardware

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Too bad no one else is helping us out here :/
Maybe this will work?

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Retail

or would I have to go with something more expensive like this?

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Power Supply - Retail

oh and the monitor ill be using is 1680x1050 cuz i know that will affect how the games run...that change anything in my build?

hmm yeah and that combo deal might work out for me! ty :)

Make sure to not multiple post like that. You can edit your last post with the button at the bottom right.

I would get this combo deal: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

You save 20 bucks, and the mobo has a $10 MIR. Great mobo, I own it myself.

I would recommend this PSU, it will allow you to add another card in Crossfire later on, and it's a great brand: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Also, you should grab a SATA DVD burner...this one is 27 bucks and has lightscribe: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

I agree with nixing the sound card, without a really good set of speakers you won't hear much of a difference. The rest of the build looks great. :D

Oops! I'll make sure not to do that again!
And thanks for the suggestions! I think ill switch over to that other mobo cuz of the combo deal :D

And one more thing: will putting all of this together require the help of some online source or should it be fairly straightforward?

Those requirements are just for people with crap power supplies.
And to clarify, it doesn't 'use' 450W, it uses (usually) no more than 200W, the other 250W is for other parts; also the wattage isn't the most important spec, ampage is.
He could get by fine on a 380W Earthwatts (not that I would recommend it). The TX650 previously recommended would be a good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom