A quick CPU Lapping question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
tape the sand paper down to a thick piece of glass on top of a flat table. Ideally a glass table with good 1/2" glass will be almost perfectly flat.

i lapped both my q6600 and my true. Just remember to turn the cpu 90 degrees every 5-10 swipes. I started with 80 grit, then 120, then 400. The idea is flat, not so much shiny. Each time you move down grit, use a sharpie and color the whole cpu, it will show low spots.

i lapped both my q6600 and my true. Just remember to turn the cpu 90 degrees every 5-10 swipes. I started with 80 grit, then 120, then 400. The idea is flat, not so much shiny. Each time you move down grit, use a sharpie and color the whole cpu, it will show low spots.

Now that's something I didn't do. Wish I would have read that somewhere. Good advice.

nah, but my first car was a 68 bug that i built from the ground up, including all bodywork, engine, electrical, etc. I dont do bodywork anymore :p I'd rather pay someone to do it.

I have a question about lapping too, I don't want to hijack the thread but I didn't feel it was necessary to start a new topic.

Is lapping the cpu and lapping the heatsink two different things? Sometimes I see people refer to lapping as doing it to a heatsink, and others refer to it as doing it to a cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom