Computer really slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldschool69

Beta member
We bought a refurbished computer some months ago....it has the following basic specs. AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1.53G Processor, 1G of RAM, about 60G HD, has Windows XP Professional 2002, Service Pack 3.

It is running really slow; slow at bootup/login screen, and SLOW when I click to access a site or folder (e.g. Google or my personal folder) I can count to almost to TEN (by "one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three....etc) before it opens up. We have up to date Antivirus protection with Verizon FIOS and we download AVG. We also have CC Cleaner as well. It is REALLY slow when it has to process things.

Problems started acting up during Tax season, I worked for a national tax corp, which gave me the oppty to work from home...I had to download their huge SW files to conduct the business....once I did that, every once in a while it would give me a BSOD and shut down...but easily power on again after about 2 minutes.....The guy who built it/sold it to us told us we needed to bump up to 2G of RAM....we didnt do that but after tax season, I I got rid of all of those huge files....and yet it is STILL running slow, really slow AND we get the BSODs (computer still powers on again after only a minute or two).

What is going on with this thing? I need to get this computer moving at the speeds we originally bought it at and WITHOUT the BSODs. We bought a refurbished PC because we didnt have the $$$ to buy new....so we REALLY, REALLY need this thing fixed.

Tell me what to do no matter HOW basic and we will do it. We dont have recovery disks either.

HELP, HELP, HELP!!!!!:eek::eek::confused:

how much of the 60GB hard drive do you have free.
and are you sure you do not have any virus,malware,ect on the pc.

also, open the case and clean it out (dust it with air can), this may not do anything as far as speeding it up, but cleaning out the dust never hurts.

that is a really old pc to begin with, im not sure how fast it is supose to run, adding another gig ram would really help.

if all else fails, you can always reformat the hard drive and start from scratch.

how much of the 60GB hard drive do you have free.
and are you sure you do not have any virus,malware,ect on the pc.

also, open the case and clean it out (dust it with air can), this may not do anything as far as speeding it up, but cleaning out the dust never hurts.

that is a really old pc to begin with, im not sure how fast it is supose to run, adding another gig ram would really help.

if all else fails, you can always reformat the hard drive and start from scratch.

Have over 40G Free space. We are constantly running virus checks (it picked up and eliminated some viruses/malware couple days ago).

Reformatting??? Bit extreme isnt it? Will it be difficult for me to reinstall everything (files, folders, apps, OS, etc.?_:confused::eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom