replaced processor with bit older one, comp won't start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauljones

Solid State Member
hi,

i replaced a 2.66ghz processor with my older one a 2.4ghz processor and my comp won't start back up. I was careful to take out the processor chips / heatsink fans etc. But now hard drive makes a reading noise when I power it on, but nothing else gets loaded up (mouse, keyboard, monitor etc)

This is on a custom machine as well, not a prebuilt one.

Do I need to post specs? I am not sure what my MOBO is though.

Have you reset teh CMOS to get teh BIOS back to default settings?

hi,

i replaced a 2.66ghz processor with my older one a 2.4ghz processor and my comp won't start back up. I was careful to take out the processor chips / heatsink fans etc. But now hard drive makes a reading noise when I power it on, but nothing else gets loaded up (mouse, keyboard, monitor etc)

This is on a custom machine as well, not a prebuilt one.

Do I need to post specs? I am not sure what my MOBO is though.

I'm not insulting your intelligence, but did you forget the Power Plug on your CPU Fan? Many people (including myself) have done that on occasion without noticing, also check if the 24 Pin connector was actually in the board.. and if your Video Card uses a Power connector, check that's in there too...

so I've double checked the power cables and SATA cables etc, everything is connected to the MOBO. I can power it on, hear a few whirs from the HD and then nothing else comes on. Monitor doesn't show up and the USB mouse / keyboard dont light up either.

This was only from switching the processor. I took out the heatsink, switched chips and put the heatsink back in place. have no clue now...

what processor did you have?
what processor do you have now?
what motherboard do you have?
what bios version are you running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom