*The Official Tech-Forums Super Pi 1M Rankings*

Re: Tech Forums Official SuperPi 1M Top List

I was just stating my personal opinion. And my opinion doesn't care about power consumption or performance per watt.

unless you are making a pc that needs to be quiet or cool running. Then again most of the time we just worry about performance pcs here.

My main consideration is price / performance. Performance/watt and so forth only comes into play if the person i am building for asks for it.

I care a little about power consumption......I mean the other day I was running IntelBurnTest on my Q6600 @ 3.6GHz with only 1.352V, and it was pulling around 162W (max I saw)...

Now, my Xeon E3120 at only 4.05GHz with 1.352V pulls about 59W maximum.

Also the Xeon idles around 8-12w while the Q6600 idled about 55-60.

I just care a bit about efficiency as it's ridiculous to have this thing just sitting there burning away power while the only thing that's running is utorrent.

Wow slaymake what board do you have. I need to get my 920 performing! What all did you do. I'm finally going to get a termaltake 120 this weekend.

Wow slaymake what board do you have. I need to get my 920 performing! What all did you do. I'm finally going to get a termaltake 120 this weekend.

I have the same mobo as you I think EVGA X58 tri-SLI.
Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

My cpu is a D stepping which helps. Thou Hefe bought my C stepping and he's right on my heels. I also have DDR3 2000 memory which gives me some headroom for a few quick runs at uber high speeds. What you need to watch on the EVGA board is your Vreg/mosfet temps. I rigged up a 70mm fan to blow on the vreg heatsink (1) and I replaced the stock NB fan with a Hi-Speed 70mm fan (2).
vreg.jpg

I also lapped the base of my True Copper to flatten it out as Thermalright likes to sell them slightly rounded.
true3.jpg

Remember guys, just keep things in perspective. Most pcs only use 300 watts max, microwaves can use over a thousand watts. I don't think it will hurt your power bill.

The microwave you use for a few minutes at a time......the PC you can game for hours sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom